Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ore-B-Gone improvements
06-05-2011, 03:51 PM,
Ore-B-Gone improvements
Looks like a new swim area is in the works at Ore B Gone.  The spit of land that appeared after the water level dropped is now the back side of a swim area.  A lot of work has been done, which has created really bad viz in that end of the pit...I guess they were working on it yesterday, Jun 4, and have more to do.  Pilings have been driven into the ground along the drop off, probably for a fence of some sort to keep kids from getting over there...and there's a coat of very fine clay/sand on top of EVERYthing in that area.

Attached Files
.jpg   OreBGone6-2011.JPG (Size: 264.57 KB / Downloads: 79)
.jpg   OreBGonetwo6-2011.JPG (Size: 321.04 KB / Downloads: 69)
06-06-2011, 01:44 PM,
Re: Ore-B-Gone improvements
Interesting, thanks for the update.  Ore B Gone has suffered from poor viz for a couple years now.  It would be nice if they can get this under control.  The big attraction in Ore B Gone is all the equipment they sunk for divers.  But if you want good viz there are much better lakes close by. 
--Jason
06-06-2011, 03:42 PM,
Agreed, Jason.  But how does viz get "improved" by humans?  Obviously, there is something leeching into the water in the bay going toward the bus.  There's a LOT of vegetation covering everything...I guess that's just the progressive nature of these bodies of water.  Seems like Lake Mine is still wonderful, concerning viz.  St. James is right up there too, at the boat landing. 

But all the silt that has been stirred up at Ore B Gone just adds to the lower visibility.  Wish there was something we as divers could do.  A big honkin' vacuum? 

Also, the water looks to be about less than a foot lower this year than last.  At least it has somewhat stabilized.  I heard that the mine company that is pumping water out of their mine, has now agreed to pump it into an adjacent mine to the west of Ore B Gone, in hopes of keeping a stable water level for Ore B Gone. 

I hope it works.  This has been a great place to dive.  It's unfortunate that some bad things are happening up there...two years ago the roof on the changing building was burned, and had to be replaced...one of the three picnic tables we use disappeared a couple of years ago, and now there's no port-a-potty, due to them constantly being tipped over. 
06-06-2011, 07:35 PM,
Yeah the situation was better up there when Rick and the guys at Tall Pine Scuba informally adopted Ore B Gone and made sure it catered to divers.  Personally I prefer Lake Mine and St. James now anyway. There are less people and the viz is way better.
--Jason
06-07-2011, 04:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2011, 04:12 PM by flyboy65.)
Ore B Gone is great for suiting up, it is shaded,(whew), and has ample parking for students.  I wish Rick would have made a go of it...but that's how it goes up there...

Actually, I feel guilty about not spending money up there.  I spend money at Holiday in Duluth for food, pop, and all the junk I buy when I go diving.  I could just as well spend it up there.  We rarely spend time in Gilbert spending money.  I'd like to get some money together to get two more picnic tables up there.  There's enough room, and when a bunch of divers show up, it's kind of cramped. 

We divers use that pit alot throughout the summer...those of us from Duluth, that is.  I have bumped into a few of you from the cities up there also.  But it has been a great training area for new students to do their open water, since all we have in Duluth is Pike Lake, which can have rather sucky viz, or Lake Superior, which, even on a relatively calm day, can be intimidating to any new diver.  Plus, we're at the mercy of the wind on the Big Lake.  Ore B Gone is really the best option.  We're had students in St. James, and when someone is unaccounted for, momentarily, my heart skips a coupla beats as I look toward one of the drop offs...and that pit can be very intimidating to new students also...

Just my two cents worth...happy divin'!

06-07-2011, 04:57 PM,
Dove "Lake Mine" this past saturday. Good vis. and enjoyed the day. Last year made 4-5 trips to "St James" also had good diving there. Down side is the distance, over 200 miles from Bloomington where as its 145 to Wazee. Parking and gear setup areas are lacking at both these sites. A pot-da-poty would also help a ton. One reason there not there I'm guessing vandalism, in to form of tipping over. There are things that could be done to lessen this of course.
We did spend a little money in the general area, first a fan belt for Dave's 'stang and subs from Subway in Biwabik.
Also on the plus side at least for me is, after diving I usually head to Knife River Marina. I have a boat there and will spend the night on it.

Al
06-10-2011, 04:15 PM,
I'll be heading back up to Ore B Gone the weekend of the 18th to (hopefully) find the bus buoy, and pop it back to the surface.  I couldn't find the bus last weekend due to dragging that dive flag thru the underwater trees...curious as to how much more work will be done by then, concerning that swimming beach...
06-23-2011, 06:42 PM,
Thanks for the info on Ore-Be-Gone.  We go to these mine pits for 10 days over the 4th every year.  We camp, eat and spend in the area.  Is there anyplace closer that Duluth for fills yet?
Love this area and hope it is always available
07-01-2011, 12:47 PM,
Re: Ore-B-Gone latest vis please
Hi,
    Can any one please let me now the current conditions,vis etc.
                Thanks,SeahuntJerry >Big Grin :Smile ;D Wink