Remember me
Lost Password Register

Multi-tools v. Toolbox
06-05-2011, 04:11 PM,
Multi-tools v. Toolbox
I've recently been saved by a multi-tool like this (but not this exact tool). My buddy had one and I was able to perform some critical troubleshooting to save many dives. My normal SAD* kit would have done same/similar or better but I didn't have it. The tool I had worked but was limited on opposing wrenches so I couldn't remove my 2nd's stage from the hose, only the hose from the first. So it got me out of a jam but didn't do what I wanted/needed.

What tools are available that offer more function or similar to a SAD without having a 'cigar' box of tools! Generically, I'm shopping for a single tool does the most stuff. It was really nice to switch task and not have to dig for more tools but if I can't work on the entire rig, it's not worth 3 adjustable wrenches for $7.99 .

* Save a dive

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
06-05-2011, 08:07 PM,
Re: Multi-tools v. Toolbox
i prefer fixed tools like wrenches to adjustable things like pliers and crescent wrenches, less possibility to damage screws and nuts.... i got the room so i just throw a toolbox in the vehicle if im driving.

my flat tipped knife has come in pretty handy a few times on a dive as well.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
06-06-2011, 08:10 AM,
I have a small dedicated toolbox for diving.  I think it's a requirement for local diving.  It takes very little effort to throw it in the car along with my other gear.  Spend $50 on a box and some tools and you're set. 
--Jason
06-06-2011, 08:48 AM,
This was Bonaire so you have the space/weight issues as well as theft issues. For local dives I have my normal toolbox.

I shouldn't spend much time on it as I didn't care for Bonaire so I'm not going back but the multi-tool was really handy and small. I'd consider getting one if it did a little more.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
06-06-2011, 09:05 AM,
The little all in one tools work for most everything. The only time I had trouble with one of these not working is switching the AGA hoses. The nut is so close to the body that it works to tighten but not to loosen. To remedy this I bought another identical "All in One" type tool and took the tool apart. I re assembled the tool so that the wrenches are in a mirror image order of the first one. That way the narrow little wrenches are offset to make any scenario work between the two... Kind of a McGuiver type a deal but when traveling, this is about as light and compact as I would want to get. Throw a good Leatherman type tool in there and you can't loose.
06-06-2011, 01:53 PM,

I understand what you are saying. OTOH, you've got dozens of places where you can fix gear in Bonaire and you aren't very far away from any of them.  I wouldn't worry too much about it at that location personally.  I am concerned that you didn't care for Bonaire.  That's blasphemy!  Wink 
--Jason
06-06-2011, 03:57 PM,

I understand what you are saying. OTOH, you've got dozens of places where you can fix gear in Bonaire and you aren't very far away from any of them.  I wouldn't worry too much about it at that location personally.  I am concerned that you didn't care for Bonaire.  That's blasphemy!  Wink 
[/quote]

Jason, YOU are correct sir! I really dont want to mention any names, (but those two icing eels, Nate and John) who stole the anchoring challenge championship from its rightful owners, Steve and I, originally dubbed Arcflash, as the devil, during the challenge, so how could you expect anything, but blasphemy, to spew from his frozen lips! I think they also cast a spell on him, to ONLY enjoy, low vis. cold water, nothing to see or find type of dives. I mean who comes back from Bonaire with anything but glowing recomendations. I'm just glad those two eels ( ie. Nate and John) werent able to cast a spell on ME, the arc-angle TRINITY, I STILL enjoy warm water, warm women, stellar vis, lots of fish, good wrecks, and the best shore diving in the world, thats to be had on my 5th trip to Bonaire (the next time) I land on that, too short runway. I have been spending all my time putting together the winning certificates together into frames for those two, slippery eel,,,,,,,,winners,,,,hang on,,,, auuug, cough,,,,ralph!,,,,!!!!!, but every time I do, if forces me to ralph ALL OVER their certificates and I end up throwing them away. I'm not sure what to do! Does anyone have any recommendations?              TRINITY

Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
06-06-2011, 05:14 PM,
"I'm not sure what to do! Does anyone have any recommendations? "

Outsource the job to foreigners?  I'm thinking Wisconsin.....
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
06-06-2011, 08:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2011, 08:44 PM by mermaid.)

Sure do!  I think he should suck it up, take it like a man, throw back a few cold ones and maybe, just maybe, he'll spell their names wrong  ;D (kinda like this: Diving Minnetinka last Sat the 25th)  
The farther back you can look, the farther forward you will see . . . Winston Churchill
06-06-2011, 08:44 PM,
Trinity, as much as I would like to reply to your jabs... and I really want to rub a bit more salt in the wound... I don't want to hi-jack Arcflash's thread about finding the Swiss Army knife of dive tools. Maybe we should continue the friendly jabbing in that painful (for some) thread: "Trinity's 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ anchoring challenge". I miss the joking and jeering... almost as much as what my minds-eye thinks the look was on both your faces when the hammer dropped. You just keep on ralphing and someday you will learn that drinking that cheap 'Horny Goat' beer will let you down every time Wink.