Remember me
Lost Password Register

proper procedure boat anchoring Madeira
09-01-2011, 03:24 PM,
proper procedure boat anchoring Madeira
could someone post or discuss the preferred or proper method of boat diving the Madeira.  is there buoys placed to tie your boat off to and how that works.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
09-01-2011, 04:21 PM,
Re: proper procedure boat anchoring Madeira
There are 2 bouys to tie to. 
Captain Brian<br />www.mn-blackdogdiving.com
09-01-2011, 04:49 PM,
Re: proper procedure boat anchoring Madeira

Hey Popo!
                                  There are "normally" two bouys to tie to on the Madiera, the near shore (closer to the beach) is moored to the bow, the further out is moored to the stern, a little deeper. The intent is to tie your boat to the floating tag line (15-20' long, with a loop woven into the end) to secure your boat, to save damage to the Madiera from anchoring, and to be assured your boat will still be there when you come up, ( I like to use a locking carabiner) and a boat hook is handy to pluck them from the water, thats how they are everywhere, well except in Munising, Mich. where there is not a floating tag line, due to the dive shop that puts them out, that likes to tie to the stern, which is fine if you always have people on your vessel. If there is no one on board your vessel (while you dive) to tie to the stern in open Lake Superior is potentially a very poor call. It does decrease the surface swim in the waves, (the length of your boat, plus the length of the tag line) but does leave your boat very vunerable if heavy seas. If there are other boats moored to the bouys when you arrive (and on any shore diveable wreck), you need to watch for bubbles and approach with caution, but always hit them up on the marine radio if people are on board. I have come up and had other boats moored to mine from the stern eyes, been told by others that they called the Coast Guard, cause there was no one on board my boat, (that did make me laugh) but all in all its a pretty simple procedure.  Trinity
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)