Remember me
Lost Password Register

Drysuit wrist seal protector
04-18-2003, 11:42 AM,
Drysuit wrist seal protector
I recently installed a wrist seal protector on my drysuit and thought it was a good idea to share. I got the idea from scubaboard.

I went to Menards and bought an 8" wheelbarrow replacement innertube. I cut a 1" cross-section of the innertube and installed it on top of my dry glove rings -- protecting the latex seals. The wheelbarrow innertube is the perfect size for drysuits.

I included a picture below of the cut innertube and the finished wrist seal guard.

Attached Files
.jpg   sealsaver.jpg (Size: 23.61 KB / Downloads: 53)
.jpg_thumb   sealsaver.jpg_thumb (Size: 41.53 KB / Downloads: 0)
--Jason
04-18-2003, 11:58 AM,
Re:Drysuit wrist seal protector
Cool idea...thanks, I'll have to try that when I get my gloves installed. Smile
04-18-2003, 12:18 PM,
That looks like a great idea!
04-18-2003, 05:43 PM,
Jason,
How did you get the rings on??????
Did you figure out the mystery of the universe?
Dan

BTW, the protector idea is a good one...thanks for sharing.
Dan L
04-18-2003, 08:17 PM,

I eventually gave up and installed the rings without keeping the inner seal intact.
--Jason
04-19-2003, 11:29 AM,
Another idea is to take an old wetsuit or scrap neoprene and cut strips about as wide as that innertube is wide. Make the strips just long enough so that when the ends are glued together the loop will stretch and hold over the seals. These have the advantage (not that it is a major advantage) of being relatively easy to slide up and down - when I dive I move it up so that it not only protects the latex seal on the suit, but also the area where the glove and suit cuff go together. Again, it's just another related option ... probably not even needed, but then again it is cheap insurance.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
04-19-2003, 02:46 PM,
What kind of glove rings are you guys using? I ask because with the Viking ring system, there is no need for seal protectors, the rings do it for you. Also, I may be able to answer the question of the universe, and help you get your rings on while still protecting the inner seals.
Scuba Dive and Travel<br />4423 Nicollet Ave. So.<br />Minneapolis, MN 55419<br />612-823-7210<br />www.scubadiveandtravel.com<br />scubadivetravel@qwestoffice.net
04-19-2003, 03:21 PM,
Dan and I are both using the Diving Concepts ring system with their new neoprene drygloves. I haven't been able to install the rings with the seals intact because of the tapered cut of my drysuit wrists. The rings are just too big. I got very close after three hours of screaming and cussing. It would probably be easier with two people.
--Jason
05-09-2003, 05:00 PM,
OK Gang Great news...I attended Our World Underwater and had Jim Roberts (Diving Concepts owner) teach me how to install the dry glove rings with the seal intact. So if any of you are struggling to pull your arm back to "right side out" please give me a call so I can help.

Other news. As a new Diving Concepts Dealer I placed an order and have several pairs of these neat Explorer 200 neoprene gloves on their way to my store. Sizes ranging from small to X-large. Give me a call if you are interested in reserving a pair when they arrive.
Scott Wemyss<br />Air Down There SCUBA <br />9 East Little Canada Road<br />Little Canada, MN 55117<br />(651) 482-0977<br />www.airdownthere.com<br />airdownthere@msn.com