Remember me
Lost Password Register

average amount of weight needed for dives with 7mm suit
03-06-2012, 08:56 PM,
Re: average amount of weight needed for dives with 7mm suit
well I was able to get it down to 20lbs by the end of the season. 14 in the pouches, and 6 for the backplate. That was a fun day Ballfrog! Now I get to relearn with my drysuit this season:-) hopefully its not too much different.
03-06-2012, 09:03 PM,
I noticed that I have to use more weight when using my drysuit.  This is all going to depend on how much insulation you use while diving.  More insulation, the more weight that will be needed.
03-06-2012, 09:52 PM,

ok, good to know. When I did my advanced dives in the drysuit last summer, we used no undergarments, just cargo shorts, and a tank top (I now know is not correct, but that's how they do it where I was trained). and My 20lbs was plenty.
03-07-2012, 09:09 AM,
Remember the Drysuit is to keep you warm and the BC/wing is for buoyancy adjustments.  You need just enough gas in your suit to eliminate the squeeze and loft your insulation.  If you are using the suit for buoyancy, the gas bubble you need to manage is a a lot more dynamic than if it is in your BC.
03-07-2012, 11:15 AM,
Ok. That makes more sense than what I was tought. I was tought when I descend to evacuate my wing, and use the suit for buoyancy. It felt really weird having a huge pocket of air moving all around in the suit. I was able to manage it ok, but I was thinking how much more stable it would be to use my wing. Thanks for the input:-)