Remember me
Lost Password Register

average amount of weight needed for dives with 7mm suit
07-04-2011, 09:54 PM,
Re: average amount of weight needed for dives with 7mm suit
I did for a while.  I made some from bicycle innertube and shot.  Another guy I know just used some log chain.

But usually high feet is a good thing.  It helps reduce kicking the silt up.
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
07-04-2011, 11:26 PM,
Another note, Wetsuits that are brand spanking new float quite a bit more.  Dive them deep a few times and you require less weight. 
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
07-05-2011, 12:44 PM,

I could be very wrong but ankle weights on a wet suits isn't common. Could it be that 23 is over-weighting enough to pull your chest down? I get 'floaty' feet in my dry suit when I don't change belt weight to compensate for a steel tank. My feet 'rise' because my weight it high and it pushes my head down and I maintain my distance to the bottom and the effect is, my feet 'rise'. In reality, I went up and then rotated head down.

Everyone needs their own systems so just work it out and do an honest buoyancy test like PADI says. If you need ankle weights, so be it. Most of us have carried rocks at some point and that's not in PADI.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
07-05-2011, 09:10 PM,
    Aright, thanks for the info guys ;D I'll put it all to use. We talked about doing a true buoyancy test the other day, but never got around to it.   
07-06-2011, 12:29 PM,

Hey Ballfrog, how exactly did you make the ankle weights out of innertube? That sounds like a good idea, and I still have 25 pounds of loose shot that I need to put to good use ;D
07-06-2011, 09:40 PM,
I cut off a length of innertube and fastened half of a nylon buckle on one end using zip ties.  Then I filled the tube with shot and fastened the other half of the buckle on the open end.  I folded the tube back on itself before zipping the ties down.
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
07-07-2011, 08:13 AM,
Ok, I think I get it:-) thanks
07-21-2011, 02:29 PM,
I'd think twice about wearing ankle weights, use them as a last resort. Just think how many kicks you might do on an average dive? Holly sh*&, that's a lot of work you are putting on your legs.

I think I would start by dumping some of that weight you are wearing. I weight 195, dive with an aluminum 80, and when I wear a 7mm suit, I think I have perhaps 8-10 lbs. of weight.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
07-22-2011, 09:55 AM,
He can't take any more off.  At the end of the dive he was a cork.  Wink

I suggested a tank tail weight to move his trim back some.

When we were on Ottertail, I started shucking the extra weight I wear when ball hunting.  I was down to about 10 pounds and was still a bit overweight.  I'm just used to being a rock.  Not so handy at 45 feet.

12-07-2011, 01:51 AM,
I am 6' 2,  290, and need 28# with my 6.5 Farmer john suit, 18 with a full 3mm, and 12 with a 3mm shorty. i have used ankle weights with no notice able affect on my diving, just helped to lower legs.

My dive buddy is 5' 8,  220 and use on average 4-6  lbs less for same suits

but i use 1/4 less air

My point is like i seen some on  here say experiment and find your ideal level