Remember me
Lost Password Register

Socorros Islands
06-28-2011, 07:52 PM,
Socorros Islands
Has anyone ever been to the Socorros Islands? Just read an article and it sounds like a lot of Sharks, Rays and other large marine life. The full day boat ride out and back does not sound like fun, but the other 5 days sound like a blast! Let me know if you have info on the Socorros!!
06-28-2011, 08:45 PM,
Re: Socorros Islands

I've been to the islands four times and have no idea what article that you are reading that you do the trip in a week, nor ever would want to.  The islands are great and very weather dependent, this is wild ocean diving with a minimum of 22-23 hrs crossing to get there and back.  Don't count on seeing every island area, as seas can be a big factor as to which sites you get to.  You better have a stomach for the return crossing, which is typically the most difficult of the two.  The ride is worth it, but any trip scheduled for 7 days from port back to port is a myth in my opinion and I wouldn't want to risk all that money on such a short window of opportunity.  Good luck.
06-28-2011, 09:01 PM,
I read that the Aggressor fleet goes there, they quoted their pricing by the week so I assumed that was how they operated the liveaboard. Other aggressor boats I've been on have been 1 week trips, but I'll look into this more. Thanks for the info!!
Did you see a lot of big marine life??
06-29-2011, 07:54 AM,

Ive gone with nautilus and solmarv, the ops with experience there.
I do not see aggressor running one week only trips.  Socorro can be hit or miss with weather, the more time the better.  The usual characters are there, sharks, sea lions, and very large mantas. The while reason to go is because of the big stuff, especially in the colder minths where you might want to bring a 7mm. If you are prone to seasickness, buy out the pharmacy, you'll need it.  Have a good trip.
06-29-2011, 06:20 PM,
Thanks for the feedback, I'll let you know if I'm able to pull this off. It might not be this winter but maybe the next!! Thanks again!!