Remember me
Lost Password Register

Side Mount Configuration
04-12-2011, 07:00 PM,
Re: Side Mount Configuration
I was answering Polarbear mostly and he was asking about the video of the Razor inventor.

Tradition is a lousy teacher so I try things for the experience sometimes. If we didn't try new things, we'd all be on J valves and running out of air on purpose.

My other reasons for standard 2 tank side:
I dive from small boats (think zodiac), you can't use twins so I am working out side to replace twins for volume on long dives.  Also, it's much easier to deal with 2 AL80 rigged once and breath as needed then to return to a boat/shore, re-rig a second tank and go again. I normally don't breath my 40 so I carry it just in case, I might as well carry the second 80, skip the 40 and breath everything I bring with. It's more efficient and I'm not back mounting heavy twins and risking my back for some old pit mine.

If you consider just the hassle of getting into a single back mount 4 times in a day on the back of a lopsided tailgate parked on a hill, indi singles in the water is a nice option.

The only reason this is in Technical is Polarbears first post. I think it's just equipment and I don't consider myself or a side-mount technical. I'm gunkholing the way I want and I don't really need to call myself anything but an active diver. That is, I'm not posing as a tech diver, I'll not about titles.

Just got to ask why are you playing with sidemount?  Side mount is a exellent tool   Tight spaces an for some with disabilitys!I dont really understand what your trying to accomplish with 1 tank!
[/quote]
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
04-13-2011, 11:36 AM,
my interest is in minimalistic low profile low drag set ups. all the discusions on-line suggest this set up is easier to swim in, easier to use. also  as far as twins go, dragging close to 90-100+ pound set up is too much too lift for most people.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
06-13-2011, 09:05 AM,

It looks like Lamar from DiveRite is doing this.
"
I just got back from Bonaire where Pete and I taught an O/W Sidemount course and TDI O/W sidemount instructor program at Buddy Dive. During this we tested the Nomad on single sidemount applications, more to come on this. Don’t be surprised when you see people shore diving the Hilma Hooker on sidemount.
"
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
06-17-2011, 06:26 AM,
Single SM is being done but I have to ask myself WHY? It is such a pain in the butt and you have to keep moving weight around. I prefer 2 tanks because you then have full redundancy and twice the amount of gas. I think if you are only bringing 1 tank then why not ware it back mount if you have a squeeze you should be bringing backup air anyway but if not you can always do a no-mount through a squeeze.
Patrick