Remember me
Lost Password Register

Mc Cargo Cove Artifact Documentation and Survey
08-04-2011, 06:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-24-2011, 07:57 PM by PJK.)
Mc Cargo Cove Artifact Documentation and Survey
The GLSPS Announces Another Dynamic Project.  August 5- 10, 2011

The goal of this project will be to accomplish an underwater archeological survey in Mc Cargoe Cove at Isle Royale National Park.  For six days, divers will be looking for and documenting artifacts from a long range of history, from pre-historic copper mining, the fur trade, the War of 1812, fishing, and 19th century copper mining.  Depths will range from very shallow work down to about 40 feet.  Skills used will be underwater navigation, photography and tri-lateralization techniques.

We will be using the Amygdaloid Ranger Station as a base of operations so we will have the use of a dock, have a water supply, special permission to set up tents, and have a fire pit.  In addition to diving, this is a beautiful place for hiking and exploring.

Unfortunately, this project filled up very fast when it was scheduled and announced in April in the "Events Calendar" on the GLSPS website.  If you still would like to learn more about this project, please log onto the GLSPS Website at .  There you can keep up to all the current details about Mc Cargoe Cove and other projects. 

This is the first stage of a six day project.  We will continue this project for the next few years until completed.  So, please keep logging onto the GLSPS website from time to time to see when the next Mc Cargoe Cove project date becomes available.  Register early to seal your spot!

You can also find out more by contacting the Mc Cargoe Cove Project Leader, Randy Beebe.  Or, if you are a GLSPS Member, click on link below.

The GLSPS hopes to see more diver interest in the Projects they still have available this year.  Hopefully more interest in 2012.  Please come join us!!!

Phil Kerber
GLSPS President
pkerber@glsps.org

Safe Diving<br />PJK
08-17-2011, 08:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-19-2011, 08:33 AM by PJK.)
Re: Mc Cargo Cove Artifact Documentation and Survey
Another successful Project

The Mc Cargoe Cove project was a huge success!  It was a six day project so a lot of planning went into it by the Leader of the project Randy Beebe, the operator of the R/V Preservation Bob Nelson, and myself.  We had to travel great distances and coordinate the transfer of the R/V Preservation from Duluth all the way up to Isle Royale for this project.  Everything on the boat worked great and we would like to thank the volunteers that helped Bob Olson transfer / cruise the boat up to the Island for the Project.  A special thanks to Bob Olson for volunteering much of his personal time to transport the boat from Duluth to Grand Portage and back to Duluth again.

This project was only 1/3 completed.  Everything went so well the National Park Service invited the GLSPS back to continue the project for the next two years.  So it will be offered again next year.  If interested in being a diver on this project, you will be able to register as a diver when it becomes available next April 2012.

You will be able to read more on the project as the Leader and crew gather the information and write the final report.

Anyone can view the reports on the GLSPS Website.  Please check the website at from time to time.  I will provide another post when the report is completed.

Thank you again to all that helped!

I hope to see some new faces next year!

See you on the next dynamic GLSPS Project.

Phil Kerber
GLSPS President
Safe Diving<br />PJK
08-23-2011, 08:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2011, 08:29 PM by PJK.)
The Mc Cargoe Cove Project Report is now finished

The Project Leader Randy Beebe, has just completed his report on the Mc Cargoe Cove project held on Isle Royale MI.  Please take a moment to log onto the GLSPS Website at to read the details about the project.

If you are not a member, you can still log onto the website to read about the Mc Cargoe Cove Project and any of the other projects the GLSPS has completed this year so far.

On the front page and on the left side, hold your mouse over "Project Reports 2011".  Then look down the list to find the project you would like to read about, then click on it.

Please enjoy!

Phil Kerber
GLSPS President
Safe Diving<br />PJK
08-24-2011, 07:27 AM,
Is the report available for review for non-GLSPS members? Sounds like a great project.
08-24-2011, 12:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-24-2011, 07:59 PM by PJK.)
Absolutely!  Please take a few minutes to review the reports.  Please log onto the website at .  In fact, the last two posts i sent had indicated that one does not need to be a GLSPS Member to view all project reports.  Although we do encourage people to join the GLSPS to receive the maximum benefits from being a member.   Including being able to join us on projects like you will be reading about on the GLSPS Website

We would like for the public to be able to see what we do to Preserve Maritime History.

We are also glad to see you have interest in what we do. 

Please read and enjoy!

Phil Kerber
GLSPS President
Safe Diving<br />PJK
08-25-2011, 09:23 AM,
Thanks Phil,
I must not have scrolled down far enough to see the report. Good job, and it sounds like it was a good time. If I wasn't always so busy with other things, I think it would be a blast to link up with your group on one of these survey dives.