Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diver dies taking AOW
08-10-2011, 06:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-10-2011, 06:32 AM by mermaid.)
Diver dies taking AOW

The farther back you can look, the farther forward you will see . . . Winston Churchill
08-10-2011, 07:22 AM,
Re: Diver dies taking AOW
I think there was a typo in the story as the guy named Perry Sollway, a diving instructor and owner of Flamingo Divers in Edmonton was quoted as saying "The buddy system is standard during training, he said. If a diver loses oxygen, the person's partner can share oxygen long enough to get back up to the surface".

If they were using Oxygen at 18 meters (59 feet) pure oxygen would be toxic. I think he meant to talk about sharing air instead of O2.

I dove in some lakes near Banff which is just south of Jasper and heard the lakes near Jasper have considerably less viz (at least lake Louise has tons of glacial silt suspended throughout the water column.
08-10-2011, 10:05 AM,
Re: Diver dies taking AOW
Clearly but the average reader would interpret Oxygen as life support and that a diver would die without it. Air would be ambiguous with being on the surface. Remember, this stuff is written for the lay person. Everyone knows you need oxygen but few know how much and he never said, pure Oxygen, only that it was lost and shared.

It's a story about human drama and not an accident report.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.