Remember me
Lost Password Register

Icing chain saws
08-19-2011, 03:29 PM,
Re: Icing chain saws
I've always had a lot of luck with someone else owning the saw and I provide lines (rated at 1880lb), beaners, screws, custom ice spuds, and a shack (that I don't put up until it's 10 below -for the ladies in the group  Wink)

So my chainsaw advice, if you HAVE to own one, don't go monster right off. Get something you can handle well. Anything in the 20 inch range will cut most of the season. If it's more, dive earlier season, it's a lot easier to cut and clear 14 inches of ice then 33. If you use a 40 inch saw on 12 inches of ice its scary (lots of blade left over) and cutting 33 with 40 is a lot of skill or you double cut the thing 4 times.

If your only going to get out 3 or 4 days in a season, do it early and you'll have a better time. 33 inches of ice is a lot of work no matter what gear you have. Early season and 12 inches of clear hard ice is the best. Later in the year you have to content with snow accumulations as well.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
08-21-2011, 02:25 PM,
I like a three foot blade and a skip-tooth chain (use safflower oil on the chain- it stys liquid at cold temps and will not clump).....But then again I will use what I have available if needed - I was the OTHER diver with during the three feet of ice and all we had was an 18 inch chain saw -----YOU JUST HAVE TO REALLY WANT IT!!!
08-21-2011, 07:49 PM,

Art, your RIGHT! You can cut an icing hole with a butter knife and a bic lighter, if you want it bad enough!
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
08-22-2011, 08:25 AM,
Terry and I don't have pictures that I know of but back a winter we cut a hole on the Hopkins with a hand auger and a lot of holes. Actually, we cut two holes that day but PRM and friend cut the second.

I don't know why we didn't have a saw that day.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.