Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving Cozumel
10-02-2011, 09:09 AM,
Re: Diving Cozumel
Diving in Cozumel is one thing I like. We have been in several different Hotels Windham, Allegro etc. with different dive  operators.
The dive operations are all very similar how they operate and what rental services they offer. The tanks are filled at a central place in town, at least two years ago this was the case.

As mentioned in the past in other posts, we usually rented BC and fins etc. at a weekly rate and negotiated the rate. We usually get a nice price break and we have not to worry about all the stuff.  You will notice full wet suits are not for rent and the shorties are not always in good condition.
Yes, as mentioned below, full wet suits are a good advice. I used 2mm and 3/4 mm water sports wet suits however prefer the 3/4mm it is more important that the wet suits fit snug. A thicker wet suit is just a hassle and you will sweat before jumping in. A few folks wear shorties however those feel cold during the dive and do not enjoy longer dives.
The only equipment we carry are 3/4mm Wetsuits and masks, computers and regulator sets. This allows to travel light without a lot of bulky dive stuff.  The rental equipment is usually good material and you have the choice to reject something you do not like or is not checking out in good repair.
A windbreaker like a "fuzzy jacket" is a good advice to keep warm after diving. We always wear those on the boat.
The jackets are a good sun shades too. 
The diving style is standard operation. If you want to do drift diving you can ask for this however it works only in
small groups with seasoned divers the dive masters are cautious to get into those area with current however those are the most rewarding and  fun dives in Cozumel.
A lot of the diving is going on in the 60-90ft range 45-55 min are not unusual for the more laid back part of a group.

Have fun

Andreas

Andreas
10-02-2011, 10:15 AM,
I always lug my own gear - kind of sucks on the packing and carrying front, but I like to know that I can count on my life support equipment!  and I pefer my split fins over your basic rental fins, but if your not spoiled like me you can save considerable luggage weight by leaving your fins at home.  (I'd at least do regs, mask, computer - and probably wetsuit as well to ensure against fit issues)  I also bring other "survival gear" - big sausage, small strobe, mirror (it's glued to the back of a small magna-doodle) - I've only used the safety sausage and hope that trend continues, but I also like the piece of mind the other stuff provides.  I've generally used my 3mm full suit - it's nice to do long dives and still be warm at the end (but I've also got plenty of natural insulation, so if you're a skinny freeze-baby you might want more).  I'd say the majority of people wear a shorty, but I've gotten plenty of jealous looks and comments after some long cooler dives, so I still bring the full!  you can always yank on the neck and flood to cool down, but once you're cold you're out of luck!

I usually stay at a B&B in town, so I miss out on doing extra shore diving - if your resort has it, I'd go for it in addition to doing whatever boat dives you set up - are you planning to use the on-site op or arranging with another?  (I like the small ops like LiquidBlueDivers, BlueXTSea, Living Underwater etc... but on rough days sometimes it's nice to go out with a big boat)

here's a todo list for Coz:    with a few other fun things.  The Museum is a nice way to kill some time if you get a day blown out by a Norte!  I also just like to sepnd some time  walking along the shoreline at low tide checking out the life in the tide pools.  (but that is also dependent on where you're staying!  The shore along the main waterfront in town is nice for that, but some of the southern resorts either have just sandy beach or  it's too rough and steep.)

Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
10-02-2011, 11:29 AM,
  We are staying at Iberostar, ( the south end of all the chains. ). Planning on using Dressel Divers? But all that can change, I will defenitly check out the web sites of everything suggested to me here!  I don't think I would have thought of bringing something warm on dive trips, thanks for that advice!

~Rick
10-03-2011, 09:40 AM,
I would have a full suit of some kind. I was happy in my 3mm. Why full? Well there are jelly fish (wish I had gloves that time and I know the guy without protection wished he had some when he got back on the boat and was a lobster from the stings- chest, arms head and all.)
The only thing I take seriously when it comes to diving is safety.