Remember me
Lost Password Register

Doty Name Board
09-27-2011, 10:35 AM,
Doty Name Board
Sad to report that the sideboard where the name LR Doty in large yellow block letters was displayed on the ship is buried in the mud.  I was hoping to take some better shots with better lighting than I had last year, but on two recent dives I was confused that this prominent section of the hull was missing?  I suspected it was the section laying aside the hull, but it wasn't until I reviewed my last years videos and this seasons pictures, that I confirmed the worst!  Since it has set undisturbed for 100 years, I don't see any reason for it to just drop (aside from gravity)... it appears that this section was either grappled or a diver tried to see if they could move it for a better picture?  The Bow sub-surface jug is missing and presumed the handle cracked off, but the line is floating and I attached some small sub jugs.

I had several very nice dives on the Doty this season with exceptional visibility, but on our last dive the bottom was starting to swirl with silt currents, and the vis was getting milky.  I will have to wait until next season to search the debris fields more thoroughly, lots of very cool stuff out there!

Pic of video capture of port side nameboard attached to ship
Pic of video capture of LR Doty name as it appeared for our first dives
One pic is courtesy of Kal Kothrade  - please contact Kal for your own print of this great wreck -
Pic of port side nameboard as it sits in the mud today

Attached Files
.jpg   Doty name board up.jpg (Size: 42.36 KB / Downloads: 63)
.jpg   Doty Name up.jpg (Size: 63.81 KB / Downloads: 64)
.jpg   Doty tease Low.jpg (Size: 17.26 KB / Downloads: 63)
.jpg   Doty Name board down.JPG (Size: 199.6 KB / Downloads: 65)
.jpg   Doty name board up.jpg (Size: 42.36 KB / Downloads: 63)
.jpg   Doty Name up.jpg (Size: 63.81 KB / Downloads: 64)
.jpg   Doty tease Low.jpg (Size: 17.26 KB / Downloads: 63)
.jpg   Doty Name board down.JPG (Size: 199.6 KB / Downloads: 65)
Start with training, continue with adventures.
09-30-2011, 10:27 AM,
Re: Doty Name Board
I've never been fortunate enough to have the chance to dive on a wreck that has not been seen before. It is suprising to me that in such short amount of time how things can change. Be it from human error or the effects of nature. It seems unlikely that after this amount of time underwater that it was a natural occurrence even though it is possible. If it was accidental it does go to show how carefull we as divers and explorers we need to be.

Good thing you have the photos of the condition it was found in.
Seize the day!