Remember me
Lost Password Register

Neon use?
04-03-2003, 09:45 AM,
Neon use?
A few years back, Neon was talked about as a possible alternative to Helium (as Helium reserves were in question). With it's lightweight properties, I've heard of how it's use for deep dives was a quality that could be prized, but ascent rates were critical (as with Hydrogen or Helium. But if you're not critical on your ascents, you don't belong in mixed gas to begin with). Does anyone know of operators and divers experimenting with Neon?

And, do trimix divers talk funny? Squeak boxes from the Helium? ;D
04-03-2003, 10:43 AM,
Re:Neon use?
I know they experimented with neon for a while but I don't think anyone is actively using it. It is slightly more narcotic than helium but it has better thermal properties. I would think it is also more expensive than helium.

As for changing your voice when diving trimix, you really do talk like Mickey Mouse. It is expecially noticable on a rebreather. If you try to talk when on OC you generally just hear all the noise from the bubbles, but on CCR there are no bubbles and you can hear your voice echo through the breathing tubes. Rebreather divers can even talk to each other under water. One of the procedures that RB divers use when diving trimix is to do a voice check. You speak and listen to see if your voice has been raised by the helium.
04-03-2003, 12:54 PM,
Neon is very very expensive, something like 6-8 times the cost of He (and He isn't exactly cheap either). Sad
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
04-03-2003, 05:01 PM,
OC divers talk like Donald Duck on helium too.

You CAN talk to your buddy while on OC. Put your second stage on their HEAD and talk into it. It will pass the sound right through their skull and they will be able to hear it. I have all of my students try it in their basic openwater course.

The last price that I heard to get a set of doubles filled with neox was around $600. I haven't heard anyone else talk about it since that diver was lost out on the East coast a couple of years ago while diving it.

Jon
&quot;Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge.&quot; -Charles Darwin
04-04-2003, 09:08 AM,
Isn't Neon a carcogenic or am I thinking about something else?
04-04-2003, 03:28 PM,
Neon is the inert noble gas, atomic number 10. Helium is the first noble gas, atomic number 2, and Argon is atomic number 18. They do all have very different narcotic coefficient though. None of these gases can support life of course, but when mixed with oxygen, they are all breathable.
04-09-2003, 05:07 PM,
Do you remember when you were a kid and your parents told you that huffing the helium in balloons would damage your lungs/throat/whatever? Is there any truth to that, or did they just not want to listen to their kids running around giggling hysterically like deranged mice?
04-09-2003, 05:17 PM,
I do not believe that it is damaging, there is a problem though when you inhale too much- it displaces all of the oxygen out of your system and you faint. But not until after you have finished your giggling and running around.
Scott Wemyss<br />Air Down There SCUBA <br />9 East Little Canada Road<br />Little Canada, MN 55117<br />(651) 482-0977<br />www.airdownthere.com<br />airdownthere@msn.com
04-09-2003, 08:00 PM,
You don't sound like deranged mice.. you sound like Alvin the chipmunk "oooooh Kaaaaaay!".
I've breathed helium balloons and the only time I came close to passing out was when I did several reverse packs and then inhaled a good breath of it.. by the time I got to take a clean breath I was almost on the floor.. but not quite. :Smile
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
04-10-2003, 08:06 AM,
What is a reverse pack ???