Remember me
Lost Password Register

tonka amazing local water conditions
10-17-2011, 12:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-17-2011, 12:02 PM by popolarbear.)
tonka amazing local water conditions
dove several spots on tonka this windy weekend. we anchored on what is called brackets point out from archola bridge on the lower lake.

water vis on surface was probably 8ft vis. on bottom at the point vis was possibly 30ft. wind was comming across violently from the point. we couldn't hold the boat. and i lost my dive flag. but vis was amazing. you could see forever.
rest of lake is 6-10ft vis roughly. i don't understand why here it was so clear. my theory is that some deeper water was coming up, or surface water from the shallows of smiths bay was coming out of solid weeds clear.
I'm saddened that i wasn't able to get any video before we got blown out.

wind seemed to be coming from west across this point (or slight NW). also strange is that on the main lake wind seemed to be comming from a North direction, especially near big island were it was comming across the island in north direction.

this point has gentle sloping sand bottom with sparse weeds. looks really really fishy but no anchors, lures, fish or anything else. . still very amazing. might try to go out again before wind dies down. local legend has it that a big musky is sometimes seen on the point.

ohh. water temp is 58 deg. i think that the fact that bottom is light collored sand also helps horizontal visibility
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;