Remember me
Lost Password Register

Local Dive Clubs
10-24-2011, 06:46 AM,
Local Dive Clubs
Hello, I'm 16 (got cert when I was 15) and I am looking for new dive buddies or dive clubs I can join. Does anyone know any local dive clubs that are open to people of my age, any high school clubs, really clubs of any kind that host get togethers or regualar meets that I could join as I am having trouble finding someone I can dive with... I am a newbie and an OW diver, but I do plan on getting my AOW.

This really helps, as I am trying to find good buddies in my area (Lino Lakes) I can dive with...
(I dont have my license but hope to have it by christmas Smile)

Thanks!
Looking for dive buddies in the Twin Cities
10-24-2011, 07:52 AM,
Re: Local Dive Clubs
Hi Mndiv,
Welcome to MNSCUBA. As far as clubs go... There are a couple actual clubs but the second closest thing to a club is this forum. Here you can ask some of the most active divers in the state about where to dive, when they are diving, equipment recommendations, ETC... The weather is getting colder obviously, and the OW season is drawing to an end in the next 2 months, But if I were you, I would tag along with some of those ice divers (just to watch) and see if it is something you might be interested in after you get your advanced. Ice diving is some of the best diving you can do in this god forsaken state. The visibility gets up to 10 times better, no boats buzzing overhead, no mosquitos, and it extends the diving season to all year long.
Here is a link to a fairly recent thread inquiring about existing dive clubs:

John
10-24-2011, 08:43 PM,
Thanks DetectorGuy, this is something I'd been wondering as well.  It's a decent idea on the ice diving thanks for the tips.
&quot;Speak softly and carry a BIG stick&quot;<br />Teddy Roosevelt
10-25-2011, 07:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-25-2011, 07:46 AM by DetectorGuy.)

Thats all I know about dive clubs in the area. I am sure that there is more info from other divers on this board. Now as far as "fan clubs"... Check with TRINITY or arcFlash, They seem to have a following. They only let divers who have red and black drysuits know the secret handshake though ;D

Of course I am just poking fun at the two (baiting them into conversation).  Smile
John
10-25-2011, 11:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-25-2011, 11:20 AM by Hydro.)
If you want to go diving, the worst thing you can do is make or join a dive club... instead, make friends and dive with them... invite other people to come with.

Make a club if you want a status symbol, give yourself a title, collect dues, have meetings about unimportant crap, exclude people, do things that have nothing to do with diving.

"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
10-25-2011, 11:39 AM,
I couldn't have said it any better.  ;D

Just follow on this board, and you will have opportunities to get in on some awesome diving.

Do check out what ice diving is all about.  After getting certified for ice, it is some of the best diving in Minnesota.  Put a little challenge mixed in, and it makes it even more worth while.

Can't wait for this upcoming ice season to begin.  >Big Grin  >Big Grin  ;D
10-25-2011, 03:02 PM,

thats funny .. I thought it was all red only. and there was more than a hand shake involved....

again. just messing with you guys in fun.

&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
10-26-2011, 03:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-08-2011, 03:55 PM by mermaid.)
Welcome Mndiv!

Here's a link to the MN School of Diving website.  This year's wetsuit/OW season IS winding down (except for the few who can handle diving wet in REALLY COLD water), but it's a link you may be interested in for next season.  They hold fun dives in Crosby, MN, (Crosby Mines).  Their website is FULL of information.

Hope it helps!
Michelle    
The farther back you can look, the farther forward you will see . . . Winston Churchill
10-27-2011, 09:18 AM,
Boy, ain't I a wimp.  I gave up local drysuit diving a month ago.
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
10-27-2011, 08:09 PM,

Thats all I know about dive clubs in the area. I am sure that there is more info from other divers on this board. Now as far as "fan clubs"... Check with TRINITY or arcFlash, They seem to have a following. They only let divers who have red and black drysuits know the secret handshake though ;D

Of course I am just poking fun at the two (baiting them into conversation).  Smile
John
[/quote]

Hey Mndiv,
                           That the Kittiwake in your avatar? Looks like it. Young Joe's ( Hydro) right, not much for dive clubs here, and Robert (scubafreak 964 ? or whatever the number is) is correct that it is some of the best diving in MN, better to find a group that you like to jump with, and run with them. Icing seasons starts soon though, our first ice,  last season was the 28th of Nov, thru about 1.5" of ice on Prior Lake. You have to be ice certified to jump with us, but anyone's welcome to come out and have a look, although without a drysuit on better wait till the ice isn't as scary as 1.5" is, with just street clothes on. Now as far as, "fan club" goes, (you guys, do make me laugh) ,,dont you pay any attention to John (Detectorguy) and Stefan (Popolarbear),,,,,, So how long are those DUI suits warrantied for, in say, a sulfuric acid enviroment?  I have a substantial enough sized fan club, but its kind of opposite of Mnscuba, its just gals. Heres a few pics of Steve (Arcflash) and I from the first icing last year, with Steve showing just how thick/thin the ice was. Do come on with, young Mndiv.       Trinity

Attached Files
.jpg   039.JPG (Size: 766.78 KB / Downloads: 121)
.jpg   037.JPG (Size: 847.74 KB / Downloads: 140)
.jpg   036.JPG (Size: 911.91 KB / Downloads: 133)
.jpg   039.JPG (Size: 766.78 KB / Downloads: 121)
.jpg   037.JPG (Size: 847.74 KB / Downloads: 140)
.jpg   036.JPG (Size: 911.91 KB / Downloads: 133)
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)