Remember me
Lost Password Register

Gilboa
11-03-2011, 09:03 PM,
Gilboa
Gilboa is a an open pit rock quarry in Ohio, located outside of Findlay which is south of Toledo and about 10 hours from Minneapolis. I've been recommended this quarry from several tech students in Chicago, and I am overwhelmed with the time I spent there this past weekend.  This pit is about 130 foot deep at its max, with beautiful walls, trees and shallows.  The marine life not limited but includes bass, trout, sunfish, big catfish, giant goldfish, paddlefish and sturgeon (these are the ones that I saw).  The underwater playground includes deep suspended platforms, and several shallow platforms, planes, helicopters, buses, trucks, boats, bridges, tubes, etc... wow! 

The first day I dove the site was a weekday and we were the only ones there, and vis was at minimum 100 foot - wow.  I was able to swim the entire bottom perimeter without lights and had beautiful walls and lots of visible light.  The second and third day were strictly by scooter and what a fun place to scooter. 

The property has a dive shop / air station on site, camping, picnic tables, porta-pottys, shower / change room / toilets, as well as some dormitory sleeping accommodations.  Daily entry is about $20.  Hands down this place is well worth a 3 day weekend road trip ;-)

Ron

Attached Files
.jpg   a Gilboa Cindy Tom Bridge.JPG (Size: 110.07 KB / Downloads: 100)
.jpg   b Gilboa Cindy Tom Bus.JPG (Size: 72.62 KB / Downloads: 51)
.jpg   c Gilboa Cindy 1.JPG (Size: 75.25 KB / Downloads: 57)
.jpg   d Gilboa Cindy 2.JPG (Size: 97.8 KB / Downloads: 58)
.jpg   a Gilboa Cindy Tom Bridge.JPG (Size: 110.07 KB / Downloads: 100)
.jpg   b Gilboa Cindy Tom Bus.JPG (Size: 72.62 KB / Downloads: 51)
.jpg   c Gilboa Cindy 1.JPG (Size: 75.25 KB / Downloads: 57)
.jpg   d Gilboa Cindy 2.JPG (Size: 97.8 KB / Downloads: 58)
Start with training, continue with adventures.
11-15-2011, 07:42 PM,
Re: Gilboa
Hi All,
    I have been diving Gilboa and nearby Whitestar quarry the last few years.
  Yes its an 11 hour drive that combined with the Legend of diving event is well worth it.
            Jerry >Big Grin
11-16-2011, 07:06 AM,
any pictures or vids of the fish, in particular paddle fish and sturgeon. I'm curious how they are able to eat, as i would think they are incompatible with a clear water quarry. or are they restocked for show only.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
11-18-2011, 08:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-18-2011, 08:30 AM by Deep Thought.)
Mike the owner sumarized the paddle fish as plankton eater, eating in the upper layers, and the sturgeon as snail or critter eaters on the bottom.  When there is a lack of bottom food the sturgeon will switch to mid / upper water filter feeders like the paddlefish.  When I saw the paddle fish they were out in the middle of the quarry swimming around 20-30 feet.  They are quite skittish, even with a rebreather.  The sturgeon swam right up to me in about 40-50 feet near a perimeter wall, checked me out and swam away.

Unfortunately the time I carried the camera was our second encounter and they were too distant for my camera to focus, still big fish even at distance.  When I saw the sturgeon, I did not carry the camera.

I've also seen paddle fish at Mermett Springs, though vis is not as great as Gilboa.  Both are well worth the drive!
Start with training, continue with adventures.