Remember me
Lost Password Register

Utila
11-29-2011, 02:23 PM,
Utila
Just booked a week on the aggressor for Utila. Will be going in Feb., I know there is a possibility of seeing whale sharks, what other things can I look forward to seeing in Utila and Roatan?
11-30-2011, 08:22 AM,
Re: Utila
As many times as you go on a livaboard, I think you aught to buy yourself a boat.  Smile

I thought the whale sharks were more a middle of the summer thing.  Maybe that's further north.
Cold and dark down there huh?
12-01-2011, 02:27 PM,
If I could afford a big boat I would, it is fantastic on these liveaboards. Dive Dive Dive!!! Next Feb. already booked a trip to the Soccoros on another liveaboard. I'll see how that goes as the trip can be really rough, 22 hours one way!!
12-07-2011, 10:11 AM,
As for the Whale Sharks in Utila, I talked to a guy who was there a year ago Feb. and they saw 6. He talked to people the week before and they saw 2, the week after 0. Apperently the Whale Sharks are not as predicable as they use to be, hopefully we will see a few!!
12-07-2011, 10:49 AM,
I hope you get to see a whale shark... I'm still waiting for the day we get to see one.

We were in St. Lucia a bit ago and were disappointed that we didn't see any large fish, or for that matter, anything big... A 3' long mackerel was about it...  Well, not counting the dolphins off the bow, some of those were big.  I should have jumped in.  .
Cold and dark down there huh?
12-07-2011, 01:07 PM,
Its always a gamble, you never know whats going to be around. I went to Bonaire as everyone talks so highly of this place, and I was totally disappointed. We saw hardly a thing the first 4 days and only slightly more the last two. I want to go back to see if that was a fluke or not!! The Soccoros should have big things, as the Mantas reach 22 feet. Potential for Humpback whales but we will have to see when we get there. Can't wait for Feb.!!!
02-24-2012, 02:48 PM,
Just got back from Utila, weather was great except a little windy. We were limited to the leeward side of the islands as it was way too rough getting back on the boat. The Utila Aggressor was good. The boat is only 14 months old so everything was good except the toilets. You would think on a new boat there wouldn't be a flushing problem. We did not see whale sharks, but saw lots of Octopus, a few sharks, sea horses and many little things!! One bad night almost ruined the vacation, while we were tied up in a small bay someone entered our boat and stole a couple regs, masks, and dive lights while we were sleeping. We were able to keep everyone diving and the Aggressor owner did right checks to everyone who lost equipment. It wasn't great, but they did try  to make up for this loss. All in all, a good trip!
02-24-2012, 04:40 PM,
Thanks for the report. I've often wondered if people could steal stuff off of liveaboards -- especially camera equipment. But this is the first time I've heard of it actually happening. It might be a good idea to store expensive equipment in the cabin for the night. I'm glad to hear the Aggressor Fleet took care of you. I'll be on one of their boats in Palau this summer.
--Jason