Remember me
Lost Password Register

TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge
03-01-2012, 03:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2012, 02:16 PM by mermaid.)
Re: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge

You do blow A LOT of smo...I mean bubbles Terry, but I don't think the grinch would have wasted time on the bell  >Big Grin , he was after Christmas trees.

Attached Files
.jpg   grinchCACBXL4O.jpg (Size: 6.96 KB / Downloads: 10)
.jpg_thumb   grinchCACBXL4O.jpg_thumb (Size: 37.24 KB / Downloads: 0)
The farther back you can look, the farther forward you will see . . . Winston Churchill
03-02-2012, 07:24 AM,
I thought the grinch took it all!!!!
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
03-04-2012, 09:04 AM,
Went diving on tonka again Sat, tried out a new underwater camera, here's some pics

underwater shot of riding the block down...look closely at this pic

zebra mussel invasion in full swing

here is also a test escape hole we tried:
1. surface had to figure out where the diver was
2. diver had to find the hole

"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
03-04-2012, 11:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012, 11:29 AM by popolarbear.)

what is interesting is that the guy in picture one has the look of someone who was hungry looking at your burger. only thing is that the burger was our dive. and when i met him i felt he wanted in the water bad. he said he really wanted to get back into ice diving. and even the pictures look like a man who hadn't eaten in a long time.

....and nice picts joe. amazing quality for such a small camera. id like to see more pictures.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
03-04-2012, 11:54 AM,

I really like this photo.  It shows just what the bottom looks like, and in great detail.
03-04-2012, 05:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012, 08:01 PM by mermaid.)
Absolutely AMAZING pics.  Too bad about the zebras though...wish there was a way to stop 'em. 

Looking forward to getting DS certified and icing in the future...what an adventure...

Thanks for posting the awesome pics Joe!  Looking forward to seeing more  ;D 

P.S. New camera or not, ya need skill to take good pics.  You're a good shot Joe.
The farther back you can look, the farther forward you will see . . . Winston Churchill
03-05-2012, 10:06 AM,

Seems Hennepin Co. gave icehouses an additional week to get off due to not being able to drive trucks on the ice, and where houses are/were thick like Carsons Bay theres been a road plowed, we helped push this guy, but to pull a tandem axle trailer with your shack on it, with a 4 wheeler (w/o chains or studs on wet ice), you might as well be using a bicycle. There was in many places on Tonka a couple inches of water from the rain last week just under the snow, but we still had 16-17 inches on ice at the 4 holes we cut. Icings quite a bit more areobic work this year pulling the sled, we were only able to drive vehicles out one weekend this entire season. I seem to recall you could normally count on driving on the lakes after the first of the year, what a strange season this has been.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
03-06-2012, 07:42 AM,
not to highjack the forum with more carp/fish posts. but it is relevant. trinity swam next to a massive carp about the same length as his big saw up to the handle. i measured it at 41-42 inches long. for reference it is tough to get carp in the 38-39 inch size. when the coon rapids carp festival was running the largest fish caught would occasionally push 38-39 inches long. carp just don't get longer than that under normal conditions.  this one was 42inches and a monster. DNR took scale samples. and aged it at around 80 years or so in the 90's when it was bow shot. interestingly carp were first stocked in Minnesota around 1910 or so.it is possible that this was a remaining fish from the original ashgrunder bloodline that came to the US from Europe. after the war the pure bloodline died out and was lost. it was known for massive size, and unique leather scale mutation that shows itself as a partially scaled "leather carp". today fish with these characteristics can be seen in bald eagle lake and the clear water chain of lakes(were the current MN state record was caught ... supposedly by hook and line, but one report suggests that it was actually netted at one of the Dams.

with out getting too side tracked. trinity said he had just seen the largest carp he thought he had ever seen in Minnesota. hes so modest we don't even see a fish story being posted. but it is at least as important as many of the minni archaeological sites, and possibly as important as some of the larger archaeological sites that are rotting away in our local lakes, so it should be recorded and studdied.

..... a 41-42 inch 80 year old carp, possibly from the original DNR stocking in the 1910's is priceless. here is a picture of the speared fish from Bald eagle....

alot of controversy exists about how big the fish really was. some say it went 48inches other 42... i will leave it at that. the DNR did examine it. and it was much larger than the current state record(55lbs) so i think it was indeed 48inches.

enjoy

Attached Files
.jpg   carp08.jpg (Size: 55.36 KB / Downloads: 24)
.jpg   carp08.jpg (Size: 55.36 KB / Downloads: 24)
03-06-2012, 07:17 PM,

Popo, that carp was a, MONSTER, so big I had to back up some to get it in both eyes at the same time. I wished I had my speargun but it might have broke my icing line pulling so hard, and I'd be lost under the ice forever. We will have to keep an eye out for her this summer.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
03-06-2012, 07:44 PM,

The carp in your pic popo, huge and UGLY!!!  Who would want to catch it ???