Remember me
Lost Password Register

TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge
03-10-2012, 08:39 PM,
Re: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge
Awesome time for diving today.  Had a great time with all my friends, and brought my son along on the expedition, too.

Stephan even found an "undocumented wreck".  I have some video of it.  He has the GPS coords.  We better not let the GPS coords out, though.  Wink  Wink  ;D  ;D  >Big Grin
03-13-2012, 06:42 PM,
in some spots several inches of water standing. also saw some interesting whirlpools where standing water was draining thru the ice. at sunset instantly all the standing water on the one side of the lake disappeared, not sure if it was refreezing or soaking up into porous ice or what happened.

Attached Files
.jpg   P3100498.JPG (Size: 392.17 KB / Downloads: 36)
.jpg   P3100498.JPG (Size: 392.17 KB / Downloads: 36)
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
03-13-2012, 07:23 PM,

The moon was full on the 8th of March and it was still full enough a few days later to draw the surface of the water (Ice actually) toward it. When the sheet ice acts like a diaphragm being pulled away from earth, the water is drawn back from the top of the ice through the cracks and holes. You wouldn't think that Minnetonka has tides... but when the surface gets pulled up even a quarter of an inch, that is a huge volume of vacuum below the ice sheet based on Minnetonka being 14,102 acres. .

I am not sure that this is why at sunset the standing water left the top of the ice or not, but this is what I would bet on if I was a betting man.
03-14-2012, 09:56 AM,

My bad for running with it too :-\.  BACK to diving...Something tells me that with the warm winter we've had and an early spring, it's likely lake vis is going to take a hit all over. 
The farther back you can look, the farther forward you will see . . . Winston Churchill
03-14-2012, 02:47 PM,
surface runnoff hurts vis. i would bet thru the ice also. as i could see bottom of my ice fishing hole 6 weeks ago, now has 2ft vis with warm weather on a small lake by me. we need water for the plants/farmers but thats it.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
03-15-2012, 07:56 PM,
Boy, oh boy.  The challenge this year sure isn't anything like last year.

The Isanti boys must have been too worn out from last year's challenge, they didn't even post a pic with an anchor this year.  :o  >Big Grin  ;D

Run hard for one year, and that is it.  Come on now guys.  >Big Grin
03-15-2012, 09:32 PM,

Ya Robert, you've got that right, those guys were just an (arc) flash in the pan, so how many jumps did you, and Popo, and Joe, get in this year? This WAS a tough year though, only drove on the ice once the entire season, made for a lot more work, loading  and pulling the sled, rather then just driving out, in all the holes I cut I never saw more then 18" max this season.

Attached Files
.jpg   Icing pics from Minnetonka 2-4-12 004.JPG (Size: 883.37 KB / Downloads: 27)
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
03-15-2012, 09:51 PM,
I had a total of 18 to date.  I will expect to increase that total this weekend.  We need to get out this weekend.  ;D  I would like to get at least 20.
03-16-2012, 10:35 AM,
That's a fair shot. I took a season off because I took up winter bike racing. So what did I miss? 33 dives that all start with the same large tool joke and photo op?
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
03-16-2012, 04:57 PM,

No actually, 35 jumps this year ( so far) Steve, which is pretty decent in such a poor ice year, anyone who shamed that number feel free to let me know, and I'll tip my hat and buy you a cold 12 pack to celebrate with. Looks like this weekend will be the end of ice till Dec. hopefully make another jump or two, but getting pretty black everywhere.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)