Remember me
Lost Password Register

TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge
12-29-2011, 08:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-29-2011, 08:57 PM by mermaid.)
Re: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge

Does seem like he's always got it on...maybe it's stuck...:o

The farther back you can look, the farther forward you will see . . . Winston Churchill
12-29-2011, 10:02 PM,
It wasn't stuck on Monday.  It dang near blew across the lake.  Good thing that Steve was quick to catch up with it.  ;D
12-31-2011, 02:23 PM,

LOL!!  I'm guessin' there ain't as much holdin' it on as there used ta be...glue don't even last forever.  ;D
The farther back you can look, the farther forward you will see . . . Winston Churchill
01-01-2012, 06:32 AM,
He could use the Indiana Jones method of hold it on (staple gun) ;D ;D
01-03-2012, 03:59 PM,

Heres a pic of the "screw anchor" from out on Medicine Lake, it had lag screws sticking out of it, and after riding the block down, remind to self, ohhh,,,, DO close that crotch zipper before riding any more blocks down. Well, it sure put the screws to me, I was pretty cold by the time I found it, so I rolled over to carry it, at crotch height for the pull back to the hole and the point of one screw made a hole in my suit, didn't notice it cause I was already soaked from riding the block down. Robert bounced that pig off the ice till she finally broke thru, hope I never see it again!
                  Damn near lost my cowboy hat to Minnewashta during the gale we dove in, but Steve saved it after a drysuit sprint half way across the lake. Do appreciate Michelle's and Bobs advice on glue or staples, :-\ too many people want to do that anyway, think I'll stick to a snug fit, and take my chances with the wind.

Attached Files
.jpg   !st icing pics of 2001-2012 013.JPG (Size: 879.4 KB / Downloads: 104)
.jpg   !st icing pics of 2001-2012 013.JPG (Size: 879.4 KB / Downloads: 104)
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
01-03-2012, 04:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM by Hydro.)
Might as well steal this video since its relevant to ice diving, and why you should be out icing!!!

"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
01-03-2012, 09:17 PM,

Those are some pretty cool videos. 
01-04-2012, 05:06 AM,
I live in a 'glass house' and I am on 'thin ice' anyway, but in the photo of the "screw anchor" is that your ice rope clipped off to the sled? Again... I'm not judging... just sayin'. By the way, I have a black hard hat shaped like a cowboy hat for ya. One of the guys at the jobsite gave it to me for a prank. I don't have the seeds to wear it at work, but I can see you doing it Smile. I'll get it to you some time this winter.
01-04-2012, 07:59 AM,
[quote author=DetectorGuy link=topic=7035.msg41023#msg41023 date=1325675165]
I live in a 'glass house' and I am on 'thin ice' anyway,

sorry John was looking for a rock and my ice spud, Wink ,,,as some might say, "judge not, lest you be judged." Always good to hear from last years, champion.
                                  We normally use ice screws, till the ice is thick enough to drive on, then we use the saftey chain loops of the trucks recievers. The reason the line is attached to the ice sled is two fold, lately we have been getting a bit of looping/twists from folding the line in the center and doubling it back and forth over our shoulders to roll it up for the day, so we now drag it behind the sled in moving between our customary 5 holes an outing, in an effort to straighten it out, the other reason is with 3 sets of gear in the sled, even rolled up, the rope always gets tangled in gear because it seems whoever is up next, gear is always on the bottom.
                                  Now, about that hardhat,,,,as much as I appreciate the offer,,,I rarely ever wear one at work, its not required, I dont work conventional construction sites, and I take enough flack for dressing in all black already, gotta agree with you,,,besides hardhats are cold, (without a liner) my icing cowboy hat is felt so it is pretty warm. I think you should save it for the next Mortensons apprentice, or better yet the police who wore your hardhats in their regular uniforms down at Target Field directing traffic, that would be most fitting.
                                  Were jumping Sat. the 7th. west of the cities, be good to see you guys again, just sayin,,,,,

Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
01-04-2012, 10:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2012, 10:56 AM by DetectorGuy.)
When the ice is 8" or less I have waffled about how to anchor the rope because I primarily use a 8" ice screw. I am concerned that the air and warmer water from below would erode the ice around the screw if it went all the way through. We have 6" screws as well that would help in the thinner ice. As far as the tangly rope... have you tried piling it up in a 5 gallon bucket or better yet a laundry basket? This seems like it works well when a diver is returning to the hole to just pile it in the bucket in a hap-hazzard fashion and making a mental effort not to coil it. It seems like less hate in the line later. Nice part about using buckets is that you can stack the two for transport and they take up very little room. Another nice thing about using a bucket is the excess rope is tidy and a person can make sure a portion of it doesn't get stepped on or worse yet melted (or heat stressed) on the heater.

I was going to give the cowboy hard hat to my wife as she rides quite a bit, and made several trips to the ER because of mishaps while riding. She won't wear it either.

I might take you up on the swimming invite this weekend depending on what time I need to be back for a holiday party.