Remember me
Lost Password Register

TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge
01-04-2012, 11:55 AM,
Re: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge

We'll try the clothes basket John, doubt 200' of 1/2" poly would go into a 5 gallon bucket. We've tried a variety of anchoring systems when the ice is real thin (less then 4"), Steve or Joe has a real short ice screw, with only 4" of thread, that works, but normally with some blowout at the top or bottom of the ice sheet, (and that arangement hasn't normally felt like a very secure anchoriong point) tried punching twin holes few feet apart, and looping the ice line thru them, tying to a tree on shore when the ice sheet isnt even sound enough to walk on/dive thru as in the spring when its pourous or real early in the season, (less then 2")
                Steve and I were out on North Arm a few weeks back and using the minimum military formula for clear ice, the square root of the weight in tons, times 4, (of clear ice), for us would be 1.1" of clear ice, ( 150 pounds/each) and that seemes real close to an absolute, minimum. The ice cracked as we each walked but held as we stood there, where when we went towards open water the ice started to spider web more severely, and at 3/4" or so, down you go. I figuired it for my 3/4 ton Silverado and it came to 5.8 or 6.2 inches can't remember right now, wanted to give it a try, when Steve asked, "dude, how we getting home"?
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
01-04-2012, 02:18 PM,
enjoy. took two hours of rip time to convert between codecs,but finally was able to get it onto utube. used auto stabilize feature in ytube. interesting feature, definitely stabilizes, but also reduces sharpness and changes color balance slightly. in some spots i noticed that the video became cropped as a result of the process.

&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
01-06-2012, 07:20 AM,

Seems Trinity has his own ways to keep life interesting  ;D ;D ;D.  (Thanks for the entertaining blog T. Wink )   
The farther back you can look, the farther forward you will see . . . Winston Churchill
01-06-2012, 04:15 PM,
Anchoring the lines. When the ice is thin I like using an anchor like they do for ice repels where you lace the rope through two holes. I do this a few times a year (2 time this year) and I trust it more then short screws. I use a spud and chop 2 holes about 3ft apart (no less) and at least 12 feet from the dive hole in an area without cracks.  With Poly line floating its easy to push a few feet in and then twist the line to pass the second hole, pull it up. DONT tie a slip knot. That creates an "American triangle" but this isn't the knot forum.... Tie two plain old inline figure-8 and beaner them with locker. Overhands on a bite will also do but I use 8's for all lifelines as policy.

If you don't know knots you should learn 3; Figure-8, Bowline, clove hitch. Any more then that is just showing off. I know about 85  ;D
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-08-2012, 10:42 AM,
                   We went out to jump Fish Lake yesterday and had the best vis. yet this year (10-12 feet) jumped 5 holes, still a bit of open water on a pressure ridge near shore, but ice was consistantly 8.5-9" thick at the holes. Pulled some anchors and bottles and fishing rods, that we leave at the individual holes and collect at the end of the day, well except for the hole that was reopened and the stuff was redeposited by two young, dumb and full of ,,,,ingorance, short wearing joggers, (we did reclose that hole) Robert suggested taking the tip of the chainsaw and carving a little "X" shape into the center of the block to help hold the branches fixed in the wind, for marking the hole and that looks like a good idea rather then trying to wedge branches into the cracks. The first pic was for a guy from North Carolina to show his friends that people do actually dive thru the ice.

Attached Files
.jpg   Icing pics on Fish Lake 1-7-12 008.JPG (Size: 877.32 KB / Downloads: 132)
.jpg   Icing pics on Fish Lake 1-7-12 010.JPG (Size: 872.26 KB / Downloads: 112)
.jpg   Icing pics on Fish Lake 1-7-12 016.JPG (Size: 869.25 KB / Downloads: 105)
.jpg_thumb   Icing pics on Fish Lake 1-7-12 008.JPG_thumb (Size: 31.94 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Icing pics on Fish Lake 1-7-12 010.JPG (Size: 872.26 KB / Downloads: 112)
.jpg   Icing pics on Fish Lake 1-7-12 016.JPG (Size: 869.25 KB / Downloads: 105)
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
01-08-2012, 07:56 PM,
What a great day for diving.

I am going to have to remember to bring my other camera along to take some pics.  ;D

Can't wait for the next dive.
01-09-2012, 05:37 PM,
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
01-10-2012, 06:58 PM,

Awesome!
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
01-10-2012, 09:35 PM,

I was studying Terry's gear set up and I have a question.  Please correct me if any of my observations are wrong.  From Joe's (Hydro's) picture, it looks like Terry's alternate second stage is between his hands, at waist level, and it looks like his primary second stage is hanging from his neck by, I assume, a stretchable rubber cord.  My question is this, if his primary air source IS hanging from his neck, where is the connection from the yellow air hose to his primary ???  Anyone?       
The farther back you can look, the farther forward you will see . . . Winston Churchill
01-10-2012, 09:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2012, 09:47 PM by scubafreek864.)
The primary reg is the one with a long yellow hose.  He is holding the primary reg in his right hand.

The back up reg has a black hose and yellow reg.  Look a little closer at the pic, and you can see it along his right shoulder.

He also has a redundant air supply slung on his left side.   ;D

You would be really confused, if you looked at my set up. LMAO!