Remember me
Lost Password Register

TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge
01-14-2012, 06:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2012, 12:46 PM by PJK.)
Re: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge
The icing this year seems to be pretty lame.  I've been thinking about just forgetting about it all together??  Maybe not?  It all depends on the weather.  Colder weather may be upon us now but warmer weather is reported to be here again. 

I've been called to do four recoveries under the ice so far this year, including the Target Semi Truck.  All seemed to be back to back and all last week.  (I am called by towing companies that I know and have done towing for me).

On these recoveries it seems the ice looks thick enough but is very unpredictable.  Eight inches in some places but only three in others.  The Target Semi Truck was sitting on one foot of ice.  However the 40,000 LB rig was much too heavy to be supported by 12 inches of ice.  Although the driver didn't deliberately drive on the ice.  He was forced to.

The VW GTI we recovered from White Bear Lake ran into an ice ridge and plummeted to 20 ft of water. 

Please be careful out there you guys!!  I know you are in your dry suits when you walk out on the lakes but, watch yourselves!  None of the recoveries that I was involved in have reported any fatalities yet.  That's a good thing!!  Hopefully I will never hear or read about it either.

Later,

Phil K   
Safe Diving<br />PJK

Messages In This Thread
Re: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge - by PJK - 01-14-2012, 06:22 PM