Remember me
Lost Password Register

Your thoughts or opinion on some dive equipment
05-20-2002, 04:53 PM,
Your thoughts or opinion on some dive equipment
Well, my wife and I finished our OW dives and got our SSI cert while vacationing in Kauai, Hawaii. We like it so much that we couldn't stop diving. We went on several dives with a shop in Koloa and saw some great things, lava tubes, sharks, octopus and numerous endemic species. We are considering purchasing our own equipment now and had the opportunity to dive with the items I listed below. If anyone has used any of the equipment below or all of it and one time or another and has some wisdom to share I would greatly appreciate it. I think through the research that I have looked at that I couldn't go wrong with any of them. <br><br>BC- <br>Mares Vector Platinum MRS <br>Aqualung Malibu RDS <br>Seaquest Balance BC <br><br>Reg- <br>Mares MR22 Abyss and Octo <br>Aqualung Titan LX Supreme and Octo <br><br>Computer and Gauge- <br>Oceanic Data Plus 2 Navcon console <br>Suunto Favor console or Tusa Imprex II (IQ 400) <br><br><br>What is the deal with the warranty on these? If I buy them mail order, like Divers Supply or something, do I still get the warranty service, etc if I go to the LDS for the CIP, BCP, etc. <br><br>Thanks for your help.<br><br><br>
05-20-2002, 05:32 PM,
Re: Your thoughts or opinion on some dive equipmen
Congratulations and welcome to the site!<br>I can only attempt to answer your last question, and it's a popular topic that I've read hundreds of posts on in the past. <br><br>In my experience and what I understand:<br>If you buy from places like DiveInn or Leisure Pro, you have to return the gear to them for warranty work. Your LDS will always be happy to service your gear (if they service the brand) but it will not be warranty work and there will be a fee.<br><br>I am glad I bought my gear (the important stuff anyway) from an LDS... I know where to take it and who's working on it. Certain things are ok to buy online, but please... consider more than price when buying. This is life-support equipment we're talking about...<br><br>Just my two cents, I could be totally wrong or totally right... but probably somewhere in between!
05-20-2002, 06:53 PM,
<br>I buy most everything I can online now.  The savings (%25-50) are too significant.  With those savings I can buy safer and more durable gear.  Wait at least a couple weeks before making any decisions.  Read all the boards.  Research every piece of gear.  I have had no problems getting online gear serviced locally.  I like the streamlined feel of my seaquest balance.    
--Jason
05-20-2002, 07:18 PM,
I noticed that all of the BCs you have on your list are jacket style.  If you haven't tried a back-buoyancy BC I suggest that you give one a shot before you make a gear purchase.<br><br><br>Dave<br>
05-20-2002, 07:23 PM,
scratch the last misread the product descriptions of the malibu and the balance<br>
05-21-2002, 04:17 AM,
Thanks for the posts.  I appreciate the feedback.  I have read quite a lot in regards to purchasing from your LDS vs. the online dive shops and am torn.  I know some of the places online, like Leisure Pro, don't offer the manufacturer's warranty because they don't the equipment direct from the dealer, but, as I am knew to the whole dive venue, I don't understand how one would not be able to take the equipment to a LDS for the annual service and inspection (BIP, CIP, AIR, etc.).  Furthermore, if one was to purchase online and take it to a LDS that services the particular brand they sell, how do they know you didn't get it from another LDS in lieu of online?  <br><br>Thanks again for your posts as the information is really benefical for newcomers to help make informed decisions.  Thanks for the welcome to the board as well.  <br><br>Take care,<br>Tim<br>
05-21-2002, 04:29 AM,
That's what we're here for... Hopefully the knowledge and experiences you will have can be shared down the road as well. My thoughts have gone back and forth on this issue. It is difficult to justify paying more for identical pieces of gear, but if price is the only consideration then you will buy online. If you like the reassurance of your local dive shop backing up your purchase and knowing who is working on your gear, then maybe the extra money spent is worth it to you. I won't preach either way, in the end it's up to the individual and what they value most.<br><br>One last thought on this... Buying online might be a more suitable choice for experienced divers who know exactly what they are looking for (size, fit, feel and style). As you can see, many people have various thoughts on about every piece of gear out there and until you try it on your own, you won't really know what is right for you.
08-16-2002, 01:33 PM,
Re:Your thoughts or opinion on some dive equipment
I am new to this but, I am buying my major equiptment from a LDS because I can try on virtually anything I want in their pool before I buy.<br>As I said I am new to scuba and don't feel comfie ordering online since I don't really know what I want yet!!! Smile
08-16-2002, 02:05 PM,
<br>That's a big advantage to buying from an LDS. I bought my major scuba purchases from an LDS too but I've bought a lot things online as well. The best thing is to do a lot of research though before deciding what to buy. There's a wealth of information on the internet about gear selection too. I bought all of my gear last year right after being certifed. If I'd known then what I know now, I would have chosen my gear a little different on some things but that's a typical scenario for most people I think when buying gear for the first time as a newbie. Not just the gear selection but the gear configuration as well because you are still learning to dive and trying to find out what's right for you. I fidgeted, swapped and replaced all kinds of stuff for at least 30 dives until arriving with a setup that I felt comfortable with. Smile
08-16-2002, 02:12 PM,
I have done quite a bit of research (no such thing as too much) but, I also liked this shop because no purchase is final for 12 months. I figure I"ll know waaaaay more by then!!! Big Grin Big Grin