Remember me
Lost Password Register

Current water temps
03-14-2012, 08:42 AM,
Current water temps
  How are the water temps? I know allot of lakes are open or mostly open. I'm curious if a guy in a 7mm wetsuit can handle current water temps? If so, is anyone planning a dive this weekend?

~Rick
03-14-2012, 09:40 AM,
Re: Current water temps
Water temps are going to be like 40 degrees (no thermocline yet), however the air will be warm, so diving in 7mm should be fine, I did 7mm in nov before and the worst part is removing the suit after the dive when the air hits you  :o

I hear south metro lakes are pretty open, not sure many north metro are.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
03-14-2012, 09:43 PM,
Hey Rick. I would be weary! I did a fall dive where the water was 52 above the thermocline in my 7mm, and even went down into the 38 degree water, but I wouldn't do it again. I was chilled to the core. even the 52 degree water was a bit much, but I can only speak for myself. If it were me, I'm waiting until its above 50 deg water, and a warm sunny day! Maybe see you down on Okoboji again this year ;D
03-14-2012, 10:16 PM,
Prior Lake is candling and open on the edges!  ;D  Soon....Very Soon!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
03-15-2012, 07:01 AM,
  Thanks for the heads up Chris! I'm sure it prob. is too cold, but I have ants in my neoprene pants:-) This nice weather we been having is getting me anxious to get out. Contact me when you plan on Okaboji, that was a blast! While @ a ice fishing contest this year, it occurred to me that we should dive the tournament sites. A guy fishing close by dropped his ice chisel (they run like $60) down the hole, then I thought about how much other stuff gets dropped down. Diving around looking at fish is o.k. but to me it's more exciting finding stuff.

~Rick
03-15-2012, 08:14 AM,
Water temp at the otter tail river yesterday showed 45..  Not sure if that was right.. Couldn't talk too well for awhile after I got out until the lips thawed.  5 ml suit, with cheap fleet farm suit over was more than enough... Didn't get to any depth that would compress the suit much though.  Only small perch, crayfish, and one hibernated frog.  And 1 more lure...
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-15-2012, 08:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-15-2012, 09:58 AM by Rickybobby.)
  Yeah Freediver I think you are right.  I checked a mudhole here, and got 42 near shore. (didn't go in, just curious.) it's suppose to mid 70's this weekend, I think I might have to try getting out. Let me know if you plan anything this weekend!

~Rick
03-15-2012, 05:20 PM,

no eyes's?

how water clarity, and level. is it starting to rise yet?
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
03-15-2012, 08:23 PM,

For sure!!!  I would live to scavenge around where people drop stuff through the ice. I heard of divers marking the clusters of ice houses with a handheld gps, than diving those spots in the summer:-)
03-16-2012, 10:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-16-2012, 10:11 AM by freedivernd.)

Clarity was very good in all the rivers around the area.. Just to early for the fish.  I wonder if the rivers will rise at all this spring, we're so dry.

A short video snorkeling over the dam...
Cold and dark down there huh?