Remember me
Lost Password Register

Minnesota diver registration law passed
04-01-2012, 06:30 AM,
Minnesota diver registration law passed
Article By Jim Muhr AP

St. Paul MN; An amendment to the Minnesota boating and fishing regulations Amendment IV. Article 12 (page 43 of the DNR boat and water safety regulations 2012) comes into effect this year requiring approval for all recreational scuba diving activities with the State of Minnesota and registration of all divers attending on approved lakes. The sponsor of the amendment passed last year, Will Inglebreatson, hopes it will curb added costs to the state of increased dive costs to enforce violations and the spread of invasive species brought to many lakes from divers. The MN DNR will be stepping up boating fines this year and diving fines will also be increased.

Anyone know anything about this regulation?
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
04-01-2012, 07:23 AM,
Re: Minnesota diver registration law passed
at least there is a whole page on diver flags on page 90 too
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
04-01-2012, 10:20 AM,

Curious, Young Joe how Ingelbreatson came to the conclusion that "divers" are the ones spreading Invasive species  :-\. Have to give Popo credit for notifying the state that zebras were in Minnetonka, but how did this guy come up with the idea that we're the bad guys, that because divers were the first ones to notice? So it must be that, "the spread of invasive species brought to many lakes from divers," is true.  :Smile I've had some long dives in local lakes (1 hr. 52 min submerged) but never come back with a zebra attached to me or my gear, or seen one on the Impulse or her trailer. Now the anchors I've brought up, thats another thing, but I have noticed that freezing in my garage or sitting for months on end, is real hard on them, (and they STILL have to be scraped off) might make them tough to stop. I look at that as only decreasing (allbeit only VERY slightly) the total number of zebras in the lake. No doubt, (eventually) invasive species will find their way to most all bodies of water,  in spite of the DNRs good intentions of slowing the spread.
                    Sounds reminiscent of the permit required to dive Mpls. lakes, another gov't. folly, eventually cancelled due to costing more to administer, then it ever made.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
04-01-2012, 10:23 AM,
I'm not finding the article... Sad
Cold and dark down there huh?
04-01-2012, 10:30 AM,

I am not either.    ???
04-01-2012, 11:01 AM,
Guess we celebrate April's fool's day

However I would not be wondering the way common sense works at the Capitol

Andreas
Andreas
04-01-2012, 11:05 AM,
Ha, Ha.  I guess I took the bait.  :-[  LOL.  It wouldn't surprise me, though, that they do make a new law for this.
04-01-2012, 11:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2012, 12:32 PM by freedivernd.)
Big Grin  Big Grin it's always the 1st April fools joke of the day that gets you.. And not often I spend at least 15 minutes researching one!!  Just Great!
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
04-01-2012, 11:19 AM,
I am wondering no one has jet suggested a system were you have to sign in at the sheriff's
office to access your fishing and boating lake.

It seems no one takes the invasive species issue for real
until it is too late to act.

Is it just ignorance or not harming any one feeling or rights ?

Andreas
Andreas
04-01-2012, 05:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-03-2012, 12:41 PM by mermaid.)
From Joe's same link (apart from April Fools), divers know what is going on at the surface A LOT more than boaters know what is going on below the surface.   

"Divers usually swim face down anywhere from one to 100 feet or more below the surface. Their vision is limited and they are usually concentrating on something underwater. Usually they don’t know what is going on above them and may have to surface suddenly."
The farther back you can look, the farther forward you will see . . . Winston Churchill