Remember me
Lost Password Register

ATV at the Crosby mines.
05-05-2012, 09:39 PM,
ATV at the Crosby mines.
Does anyone know if ATVs are allowed in the mine pits? I m having a hard time finding any info..Thanks!
05-05-2012, 10:23 PM,
Re: ATV at the Crosby mines.
Heheheh funny you should ask.  ;D
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
05-05-2012, 10:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2012, 10:59 PM by DetectorGuy.)

I am fairly new to ATV's and frankly new to following rules... but from what I understand, Class 2 ATV's can ride on the right hand side of any road that a car can drive on except for a state trunk highway. These class 2 ATV's can not run in the ditch. Class 1 ATV's, on the other hand, need to only run in the ditch unless crossing a road but can not run in the ditch from April 1 until August 1 because I guess it disrupts the pheasant nesting areas. I Have one of each, so I can do either...but not at the same time ;D Basically a class 1 ATV is less than 50" wide and less than 1000cc. A class 2 is more than 50" wide and less than 1000cc. Motorcycles are ATM, and ORV is the Truggies & Jeep type of vehicles. In my mind it is all legal until you cross a sign that clearly states the vehicle your on is not allowed, or a sign that says "no trespassing".
05-06-2012, 09:03 AM,
Awesome... I knew we used  to ride them all around the mine pits, but heard rumors they they were no longer allowed :Smile Maybe ingnorance is bliss >Big Grin
05-07-2012, 05:35 AM,
The DNR web page on the cuyuna rec area clearly States that no off highway vehicles are allowed.
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
05-07-2012, 01:06 PM,
That may be true... I guess I haven't seen that page yet. I am basing my thoughts on this document:
05-07-2012, 01:08 PM,

"Off-highway vehicles are not permitted within the boundaries of Cuyuna Country State Recreation Area."
05-07-2012, 01:32 PM,
I'll be danged it does clearly state that... My bad.
05-07-2012, 04:46 PM,
what does the law consider "within"?

"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
05-07-2012, 06:36 PM,
                Not to jack this thread, a few years back, before the state played such an active role in issuing fines and collecting fees at Cayuna, I had launched my zodiac at one of the smaller mines, don't recall which, across the grass not really a boat launch, for diving the steep bank on the other side. Some locals got on me about there being no boats or motors allowed on this particular mine, I saw no signs and had not heard that some mines don't allow motors or even boats, so I just went on diving. Then during the recent state strike/shutdown I was told that I had to take the Impulse off Pennington by 10 pm by the DNR (wasn't sure why, they, were still working) because they were closing the boat launch, where my truck and trailer were parked, but the Impulse was where Molly and I were planning to spend the night. I was reasonably sure they wouldn't tow my rig and was real sure my bolt cutter would reopen the gate, if they locked me in, so we just fired up the grill and stayed, turned out they never locked the gate anyway.
                Not sure why they don't allow ATVs, they use to allow horses, and I saw lots of ATVs, some even (like in Joes video) underwater, state must be worried about damage they'll do to the logging roads, creating huge potholes and such, or maybe people driving junk ones off cliffs, polluting the water, with leaking gas and oil, or maybe people using ATVs to run down deer.

Attached Files
.jpg   Car in Joan 012.JPG (Size: 1,017.34 KB / Downloads: 54)
.jpg_thumb   Car in Joan 003.JPG_thumb (Size: 20.99 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Car in Joan 003.JPG (Size: 491.96 KB / Downloads: 53)
.jpg   Car in Joan 012.JPG (Size: 1,017.34 KB / Downloads: 54)
.jpg_thumb   Car in Joan 003.JPG_thumb (Size: 20.99 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Car in Joan 003.JPG (Size: 491.96 KB / Downloads: 53)
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)