Remember me
Lost Password Register

Anyone been up to the Hesper lately?
06-11-2012, 03:40 PM,
Anyone been up to the Hesper lately?
My wife wants to do her first Superior dive and the Hesper seems like a good one to start with. She's an experienced diver but one who doesn't like cold water so I'm hoping the predictions of a warmer lake this year holds true. Has anyone been up there lately?
06-12-2012, 11:13 AM,
Re: Anyone been up to the Hesper lately?
I would consider doing the Madeira first.  I think the access is a little more convenient and the wreck is much more interesting than the Hesper. If your wife doesn't like cold water, the best time to dive these wrecks is late August/early September. It's possible to encounter surface water temps in the low 60's at these times. However, that's not a guarantee since the wind and currents can push in colder water at any time. 

I also read a recent article about warmer temps on the lake this year. The current surface temps look colder than normal to me:

--Jason
06-23-2012, 01:52 PM,
We dove the hesper the last weekend in May. 34 degrees that at depth....brrr. I think access is a toss up. At the Hesper you have a climb over the rocks, but the Madeira has a long trail to the beach and a long surface swim...either one has its challenges. I'd suggest waiting until later in the summer if she get's cold too....
06-25-2012, 06:26 AM,
whats water clarity, i herd that superior was very murky this year due to surface run off.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
06-27-2012, 09:05 PM,
Try the wrecks off the Apostle islands in Bayfield. Water is guaranteed to be warmer than at the Hesper.
07-08-2012, 08:33 AM,
The hesper usually is a colder dive.  Something to do with the way the currents flow around the reef there.  But I have seen 60 deg bottom temp in August.