Remember me
Lost Password Register

National Geographic special
04-07-2003, 02:52 PM,
National Geographic special
Did anyone else watch that national geographic special yesterday on Truk Lagoon wreck diving? They highlighted the local wreck diving and the problems they face with scavengers. One of the things that surprised me was that the divers were using a basic recreational gear config on one of the wreck penetration dives. I didn't see a reel in use and they were really silting up the wreck. I suppose that one of the other divers may have been running a line.
--Jason
04-07-2003, 03:13 PM,
Re:National Geographic special
I missed it, but I see they have a Mysteries of the Deep show on every Saturday at 10pm
04-07-2003, 03:19 PM,
Re:National Geographic special
Jason,

a lot of wreck divers use what's called progressive penetration, where you go inside the wreck without the guideline (which some wreckers consider an entanglement hazard) but you try to memorize the area you're in as you go. This requires multiple dives to enhance familiarization. Needless to say, someone with proper cave- and guideline use training can go much farther much safer in a wreck, but then again that's part of the ongoing controversy between wreck and cave divers.
Personally I think going in any overhead environment without a continuous guideline is pure stupidity and is just asking for problems. A well ran guideline is the safest wreck diving tool ever...