Remember me
Lost Password Register

square lake
06-28-2012, 08:16 AM,
square lake
What time can you start diving if you dive from the campground?  Thinking about going this weekend and want to get as early of a start as possible...

Also, what is the water temp been lately there?  I will be doing surface skills and maybe down to about 20-25 feet.  I am concerned about getting too warm...

Thanks!
06-29-2012, 09:48 AM,
Re: square lake
I'm not sure what time Golden Acres officially opens to visitors. Give them a call: (651) 439-1147.  I've been there as early as 8am. You used to be able to pay at their pay box if no parking attendant was available. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

The surface water temp has to be in the mid-70's by now -- especially with the hot weather lately. I think it was already in the 70's when I was there three weeks ago.  You will hit a thermocline around 20ft. I would wear thin undies if using a drysuit, or I would wear a 5mm wetsuit.  Enjoy your weekend in the water!
--Jason
07-20-2012, 01:41 PM,
Re: square lake
We dove Square the other day and were in a 7mil. It was too warm. A 5 mil is all you need for the thermoclines. I bet you could even do it in a 3 mil. It was pretty warm. Of course, the best part was the food afterward.