Remember me
Lost Password Register

250th Logged Dive
07-15-2012, 08:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2012, 09:04 AM by DetectorGuy.)
250th Logged Dive
Yesterday, Nate and I took the boat up to Lake Superior and dove the Madeira and the S.P. Ely. The water temp at the surface was 63 degrees and the temp at the Madeira was 41 degrees. The viz on the Madeira was 25' to 30'. The seas were less than 2' with rain forecasted, but The rains never came and it was a nice day. We did a couple dives around the Madeira and I took lots of HD video. I am converting and uploading video right now and I will post them here over the next few days when they are done. The first video will be of the stern section of the Madeira. The second video will be of the bow section and the scattered steel debris in the rocky area towards Gold Rock Point from the wreck. The third video will be of the Ely (I might need to make this video "Part One" & "Part Two" also). We put in at the Twin Points public access about 4.2 miles South of Gold Rock Point. After these dives We loaded the boat back onto the trailer and drove down to Two Harbors and dove the Ely wreck. Neither of us had dove that one before and we were both impressed. The folks at the GLSPS have really done a great job putting this wreck back together. The viz here was not stellar at only 8' but still an incredible dive. We both talked about needing to do an Ice dive here in the future. I video'd the wreck and noticed that there is still paint on the outside of the thick wood hull. I saw white pinstripes running the length with bits of baby blue paint here and there. We saw the two mast holes and the iron bilge pump. There was a bit of fishing line in spots. After the dive we were talking about the wreck in the boat and we saw a small doe eating grass on shore just off the end of the break wall. I tried to video this deer with my older camera and it turned out grainy.

So with the two dives at the Madeira being #248 & #249 and the S. P. Ely being my 250th logged dive, I can't think of a better place to have made this mini milestone. Interesting sites + good visibility + good weather + good dive buddy + good meal on the way home = Good Times!
07-16-2012, 03:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-16-2012, 03:49 AM by DetectorGuy.)
Re: 250th Logged Dive
Here are links to the two videos of the Madeira wreck and surrounding area. The first one is of the stern section, and this video is about 12 minutes long. The second video is of the bow section and the surrounding area, and this video is about 14 minutes long.

Madeira Part One:

Madeira Part Two:
07-16-2012, 08:12 AM,

+ 1  8)

Good Job! It has been fun watching you excel in this sport. I could tell right away that you had the right attitude and were going to be a good dive buddy.

07-17-2012, 07:46 AM,
Here are links to the two videos of the S.P.Ely wreck in Two Harbors. The first one is about 12 minutes long. The second video is about 14 minutes long. Even though they are HD video, the vis wasn't much so don't expect much as far as high quality.

Ely Part One:

Ely Part Two:
07-18-2012, 11:13 AM,
Congrats on reaching 250! I'll be up in Lake Superior next week diving off of Jay's boat. I'm hoping for some nice warm surface temps for those safety stops. Smile
--Jason
07-18-2012, 03:12 PM,
Thank you Jason
07-19-2012, 01:25 PM,

Seemed like the thermocline was at 10'  :o
07-20-2012, 01:45 PM,
Congrats on 250 dives! When will you hit 300?
07-20-2012, 02:00 PM,
Thanks, I have been diving for 5 years so I have been averaging about one dive per week (give or take). By this time next year I should be at 300.