Remember me
Lost Password Register

Bayfield, Little Sand Bay Dive Trip
08-13-2012, 09:40 AM,
Bayfield, Little Sand Bay Dive Trip
Every year the Owatonna Dive Club makes their annual family diving trip up to BayField.  For years they used to stay at Red Cliff, just north of Bayfield.  Now the have a big hotel and less campsites.  This is the second year they have been staying at Little sand bay, North west of Bayfield.  Really nice campground, ice is always available and they have park rangers on site.  Many members have their own dive boats which are really nice to have.  We headed north to Sand Island.  The island have awesome sandstone caves.  We snorkeled in and out of them, really clear and fun.  Than we went to the Finn McCool shipwreck that is just south of Bayfield.  Shallow wreck always fun to see.  Another day we went to the Lucerne.
Today, the remains of the Lucerne lie in twenty-four feet of water off the northeast side of Long Island near Ashland, Wisconsin
The water was 70 degrees and viz was not that great, but well worth it. 
The whole trip I used a 2 mil suit with a hooded undervest!!!!!!!!!!!
We went back to the caves to dive so we could go deeper, tons of huge rock and viz was great.
Went back to sand island and walked 1 mile to the lighthouse.  Where they had a tour guide and learned a lot.

Tons of fun, didn't think I would dive in a 2 mil wetsuit. 
08-14-2012, 10:25 AM,
Re: Bayfield, Little Sand Bay Dive Trip
Thanks for the report. I need to get up to Bayfield one of these years.
--Jason