Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Conditions - D.L., Perham, Vergas Area
04-09-2003, 11:30 AM,
Lake Conditions - D.L., Perham, Vergas Area
As of 4/8 (yesterday)- lakes were still iced over, most have a little open water at shores, smaller ponds were open, I saw people still ice fishing on Lake Lida, they had used a short plank to get from shore to ice. Rivers are open and I'm aware of one group doing an Otter Tail river dive this Sunday.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
04-09-2003, 11:57 AM,
Re:Lake Conditions - D.L., Perham, Vergas Area
River diving huh? Never dove in a river before. Whats the water clarity like and are the currents hard to deal with? I wouldn't even think of diving in a zero viz strong current river like the Mississippi, Minnesota, or St. Croix but something smaller might be kinda neat.
04-09-2003, 12:31 PM,
two words: BLOW TORCH! ;D
04-09-2003, 04:55 PM,
We just had a discussion in the store re: a possible trip over to the Apple River. If that interests anybody please call the store and we will pick a date to give it a try. I personally know three people who have lost jewelry, so there's the motivator. 651-482-0977
Scott Wemyss<br />Air Down There SCUBA <br />9 East Little Canada Road<br />Little Canada, MN 55117<br />(651) 482-0977<br />www.airdownthere.com<br />airdownthere@msn.com
04-09-2003, 08:06 PM,
Vis in the Otter Tail can be very good.. especially this spring when we have not had a lot of run off because of the lack of snow and rain. Certain places (dams, mills, etc.) where the water is more controlled helps. I spearfished in the Otter early spring last year and had maybe 3-6 of vis but that is not typical. It can be very clear. Currents aren't bad at all, actually kinda fun.
Fred
04-09-2003, 08:50 PM,
I'd probably be interested in trying this. Sounds like fun. Smile
04-16-2003, 09:15 PM,
I was in the lakes country again today. Ice was off of every lake I saw except only 3/4 off of Little McDonald. Bad thing was ice was more likely forming than leaving today.. 30 mile an hour winds, 30 degrees, 300yds of ice from shore on Lil' McD. Expecting 20deg. for lows and 1-3 inches of snow tonight (it's snowing now). Not good. From the shore, W. McDonald looked super clear on the calm side. No, I did not get into the water yet. Give this weather a few days to straighten out.
Fred
04-17-2003, 07:19 AM,

I'd be willing to bet vis would not allow for finding much of anything. Mostly beer cans, bottles and some sunglasses I would imagine. I've been tubing there a few times... pretty nasty water from what I remember. Plus, vis in a river is never that great to begin with.
04-17-2003, 09:46 AM,
Fred:
Did you check that lake next to Little McDonald named PAUL??? Just curious.... (At least I think that was McDonald that was right next to Paul? I remember the lake was right up to the edge of the road in 2001). That is great news on the viz!!!!!

Jean Smile
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
04-17-2003, 10:41 AM,
Jean,
Paul Lake was really rough by the landing so didn't look into the water but the ice was OFF, it was like a winter blizzard around here yesterday. Looks like about 5 inches of snow over night!! It's nice today.. maybe I'll go for a swim tomorrow, supposed to be near 60 deg. I think. If I go, I'll be able to hit at least 3 lakes (Paul, Lil'Mac, West Mc), maybe 4 (Round), maybe even 5 (E.Silent) since I travel so light Wink. Not exactly a lot of time spent on gear donning/doffing. I've got to try and get some work done Sad today to see if I can spend the day playing ;D tomorrow. These lakes are close to each other and have nice firm sand at the landings and generally great vis, you guys have got to make it up here sometime!! REMEMBER JUNE 14th. I'll have a better vis/dive report in a few days.
Fred