Remember me
Lost Password Register

No Mount Cave Diving – Castle Rock, Fennimore, WI
08-25-2012, 10:13 AM,
No Mount Cave Diving – Castle Rock, Fennimore, WI

pretty cool, id get more into caving if there were anchors involved...
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
08-25-2012, 12:30 PM,
Re: No Mount Cave Diving – Castle Rock, Fennimore, WI

Looks like some of the snug fits in No. Fla. but interesting, no life, eels, crayfish or small fish. In the middle of the video you saw the current turn around, would of been interesting to see the spot the divers turned around, and to know the overall distance, too.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
08-26-2012, 01:15 PM,

Maybe I'm too green to get it, but it seems like a lot of hassle to have to push the
tanks ahead of you.  ??? 
The farther back you can look, the farther forward you will see . . . Winston Churchill
08-26-2012, 05:38 PM,
Amazing footage. Seems they were so deep into the earth that you could hear Aboriginal musicians playing their didgeridoos....

Leave it to Rich and Tamara to go where no one has ever tread Wink

Congrats to the team
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
08-26-2012, 07:56 PM,
That cave redefines small passage.  It’s no-mount, because there is no physical way to fit in the cave in side-mount, and certainly not with a tank (or tanks) on your back.  Two tanks are used for redundancy, and with the feeling that if a pair of aluminum 80s won’t fit, most likely one’s self won’t fit either.  Pushing them isn’t hard; the bottoms of Luxfer aluminum 80s are actually pretty floaty. (Catalina’s not so much).  The tanks also help keep you out of the flow when you’re working to get unstuck, or trying to reposition your body to fit (the flow in there is howling).  I went there a couple years ago with Stacy (the wife of this movie’s photographer), Tami (the first diver in the film), and a couple of Tami’s friends.  I hear it goes back a little over 500 feet, though is incredibly slow going.  I think Tami is the only one who has made it to the end.  On my dives (crawls), I was getting really stuck in a restriction soon after the restriction that was featured in the film.  Being stuck is certainly not the most enjoyable part of a dive.  Now I know what it means to be stuck between a rock and a hard place.  At an average depth of less than 10 feet, though, one has a lot of air (time) to figure out how to get unstuck and turned around (or depending on one’s outlook, to reflect on your life).  I’m sure the film would have shown the second restriction, if the photographer could physically fit back there.  I don’t think he was able to actually get through the restriction he filmed (he’s just a bigger guy than I am).  There is certainly life in the cave; a resident muskrat comes in to collect cave line for its nest.  Please don’t go in there without cave training, appropriate equipment, substantial cave diving experience, and a high comfort level in submerged caves (being slender and flexible also helps).  This cave most certainly is not a forgiving environment. 
08-27-2012, 09:37 AM,
I'm not claustrophobic by nature, but watching that video makes me cringe. I'm glad other people are willing to do it so that I don't have to! Getting cave certified is something I'm interested in though.
--Jason
08-27-2012, 02:51 PM,
Yep... I don't think I could do it. That current looks like 6 knots... and some of those restrictions look plenty snug. I wouldn't want to be the cork in one of those bottle-necks. These people are hard core for sure!
08-28-2012, 07:40 AM,
Interesting vid. thanks for posting.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;