Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Minnetonka Dive Spots coordinates?
09-20-2012, 05:00 PM,
Re: Lake Minnetonka Dive Spots coordinates?
I kind of understand splitting these grant projects in two. You can either ask for a large grant to fund a project with an uncertain return on investment. Or, you can fund a smaller project to ascertain if it even makes sense to get wet. Either way someone has to scan the lake first. I think this process actually shows some financial discipline on the part of the project participants. I've read the Minnetonka report. It seems pretty comprehensive. Based on the size of these grants and the time commitment, nobody is getting rich off this work.

And in terms of training volunteer divers, I'm not suggesting a boot camp. Divers would just need some guidance as to how best to document what they see. 2hrs training max.
--Jason
09-20-2012, 05:42 PM,
I agree that no one is getting rich at this. I really don't care what they do with the grant money, as long as it doesn't come back and limit where I can dive. I am not an archeologist, but I do have an interest in archeology and I am deeply interested in history. If we don't learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it. With that in said I would think that anyone following the history of MHM's work would see that they haven't shown in any of their reports any trace of them ever getting their hair wet to actually document a single submerged culturally significant item. The work they have shown publicly has been all "on the surface" type stuff and if a tape measure was used under water, I am thinking their elbows stayed dry.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results. Do you think they will ever advance their work to actually getting below the surface? I hope they do and get different [conclusive] results.
09-20-2012, 07:00 PM,
I would bet that some of those sonar hits, are under liquid silt! with none of the hull exposed. if that is the case such a dive spot would probably not be for the average diver.not to mention a dangerous dive. i can think of atleast one spot on tonka were the silt is so soft you sink into it and the only way you would know your under the silt is the lights going out.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
09-20-2012, 07:04 PM,
but that being said, i think if we put a proposal together and get some modest funding say, $5000 per diver, we could come up with a good number of divers that would be more than happy to swim under the silt line and feel her hull out. perhaps put a tape and get some measurements.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
09-20-2012, 07:50 PM,

Popo, Robert and Dave,
              Sunday the 23rd at 8;30am at Grays Bay launch, we've already got six aboard the Impulse so need to limit the offspring/signifigant others. Dave will have tanks and wts. for you.    Trinity
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
09-20-2012, 08:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-20-2012, 08:13 PM by mcdiver.)
Dude,

You better be yanking my chain about that 65 degree water (surface), after being in Louisiana for the past 8 months, I am used to 81 degree Gulf water. And what's with this 10' of vis? WTF!!!

Haven't blown bubbles with you in close to 1-1/2 years, so we are long overdue.

Have I got some stories to share with you about these hicks down here in Louisiana. There's is only one explanation, the Family Tree is a Telephone Pole.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
09-20-2012, 09:26 PM,

Sorry guys.  I am not going to make it.  I have to be up in Sauk Rapids on Sunday.  For some reason, I thought that we were racing on Saturday.

Next time.  Sad
09-21-2012, 03:32 AM,
65 is kinda warm for this time.
09-21-2012, 09:16 AM,
Trinity,

I will burn some "Swamp Pop" music to listen to on the boat. It will flow good with the cold ones, just don't toss me overboard.

It will make you appreciate life in Minnesota.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
09-21-2012, 08:04 PM,
NAUI has a very nice class on underwater ARC-H-A-EOLOGY Intro.It gives you all kinds of ideas on state rules and federal rules pertaining to access and etiquette of these sites.