Remember me
Lost Password Register

Rum River Dive Yesterday
09-17-2012, 07:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2012, 01:36 PM by DetectorGuy.)
Rum River Dive Yesterday
I had a good time diving with Shooter yesterday in the Rum River by Cambridge. Last year the old bridge was removed and a new one was built in its same location. To build the piers for the bridge they had built temporary coffer dams that funneled the water through the center. In the past this area under the bridge and down stream had been gravel and rocky. This rocky area trapped a lot of things over the years. The coffer dams must have funneled the sand from upstream and covered all the gravel. It was just a sandy moon scape for the most part. The good news is that the construction workers did a great job making sure the bottom of the river was left cleaner than when they started, and there was no trace of the coffer dams. The bad news is that all the sand from upstream flushed through the narrow gap of the coffer dams and settled from the bridge to about 200 yards down stream filling a 26' deep hole with sand. This hole was originally created by a mill dam (which is still partially there). The hole is now only 16' deep. I know rivers change and maybe all this re-distributed sand has uncovered something else upstream. The water seemed colder than the 63 degrees shown on my computer and the viz was about 3'. I saw some nice bass around the submerged trees and luckily I did not see any snapping turtles. I found a couple bikes, an aluminum Razor scooter (which I gave to a few kids fishing under the bridge), a shopping cart and the usual river debris.
09-17-2012, 02:01 PM,
Re: Rum River Dive Yesterday

It was good to get back into the water again! Even though that area has been dove multiple times, it keeps producing. I guess you just need to know where to look,(on the bottom  ;D)  and spend more time diving! Karma always helps, too! My gear needed the freshwater rinse  :-X I tried out a small 3 tonged hand rake and it worked awesome for diggin out booty! >Big Grin
09-17-2012, 06:43 PM,
Re: Rum River Dive Yesterday
That 3 tined fork worked good. I picked up one piece of cast iron and moved it out of the way and let the silt get carried away by the current for a few seconds. When the water cleared up I looked down and saw this white china nic-nac shoe. I thought it was a piece of melted white glass at first and then Recognized it as a shoe. Kinda neat even though it was broke.

Attached Files
.jpg   PICT0004.jpg (Size: 652.96 KB / Downloads: 33)
.jpg   PICT0005.jpg (Size: 641.22 KB / Downloads: 27)
.jpg   PICT0004.jpg (Size: 652.96 KB / Downloads: 33)
.jpg   PICT0005.jpg (Size: 641.22 KB / Downloads: 27)
.jpg   PICT0006.jpg (Size: 634.46 KB / Downloads: 23)