Remember me
Lost Password Register

Soccorros Islands
10-30-2012, 11:25 AM,
Soccorros Islands
I'm going to the Socorros Islands in Feb. wandering if anyone has been  there and what type of wet suit you used? I'm planning on using a 7 mil but wander if that might too much. They say the water temps will be low 70's and we will be doing 4 dives a day. Let me know if anyone has been there and what you think!
10-30-2012, 06:08 PM,
Re: Soccorros Islands
haven't been there, but with water temps in the 70's, I would think a 3 mil would be enough......
10-30-2012, 11:18 PM,
I have to respectfully disagree with Shooter. A 3mm suit won't be warm enough for most people doing four daily dives in low-70's degF water. I would take a 5mm at the bare minimum -- and then potentially layer that with a 2mm vest. Everyone's body type is different though. I would recommend sticking with your plan to bring a 7mm. You can always unzip it to let in water if necessary. I would also bring a hood. It's way better to be too warm than too cold.
--Jason
10-31-2012, 07:19 AM,
Have to agree with Jason.. I freedive in a 3 mil jacket w/hood and high waist pants, let's no water in, is closed cell outside so dries instantly out of the water but most suits will work like an airconditioner at the surface.  With my slim build, 70's deg water I will be chilled at the end of a few + hours and that's not spending a lot of time compressed at depth.  With my bald head the hood is nice for sun protection too.  I believe you could get by without gloves.
Go with the 7, be warm the first dives and still comfortable the last dive.
Cold and dark down there huh?
10-31-2012, 08:35 AM,

;D 8)

I forgot to add that most of the time when I am in 70 degree water it is a "working" dive. chasing fish, loading the speargun, fending off the tax man, etc. I also need to drop about 30-50 lbs of natural insulation  :-[ (too much celebration and victory laps  >Big Grin). I don't like the feeling of restriction when I am in that heavy of a wetsuit. We will be looking for that 36' yellowfin at some point this winter, I would imagine water temps will be in the 70's, I will probably throw in the 5mm.....
10-31-2012, 09:34 AM,
The debate between 5 mil and 7 mil? I do think the 7 mil might be a little over kill, I will bring a hood but gloves are not allowed. I have had to unzip my 7 mil in Superior in the past, that worked fine so I'm planning on a 7mil.