Remember me
Lost Password Register

Recovery dive this Saturday Nov 10, 2012
11-08-2012, 01:18 PM,
Recovery dive this Saturday Nov 10, 2012
I had a guy call me about a recovery dive this Saturday in Ft Snelling Lake at Noon. I told him that I am double booked this Saturday and that I can't make it but that I would post it up here and let people know here that this open invite is available. The back story is that a young man drown there last month. The father of the drown man wants some divers to get together to recover his sons tacklebox and fishing pole in that lake on Saturday. The person that called me, told me that the body had been removed by what he thought was the Airport Fire Department that did that work... The father will be at the landing with a kayak to assist in pointing the divers in the general direction. The lake is said to be weedy and that is all the info I have. I would like to be there myself, but I have a bunch of things I need to get done before I go to the Bahamas for 16 days at the end of this month. I told the guy I would post it here and get the invite out there. So with that said... I am not sure how organized this dive is or will be, but I think the father will be grateful (at the very least) to any and all who show up. If anyone is interested I have a cell number of the guy who called me.

John
11-08-2012, 04:02 PM,
Re: Recovery dive this Saturday Nov 10, 2012

Curious John, did he, or you, pick the anniversery date of the sinking of the Fitzgerald for this one, less then 48 hours, not much in the way of notice  :-\  I've dove in Snelling before, LOTS of weeds and she tends to smother, might be better thru the ice. A real boat might be handy too.    Trinity
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
11-09-2012, 06:08 AM,
Trinity is this a soft bottom lake? super low vis? not sure if i can make it,i think i got tonka plans, but if not id suport the cause.who if any are going. stef
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
11-09-2012, 06:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-09-2012, 06:51 AM by DetectorGuy.)
I know its short notice and all. This was one of those word of mouth deals that a guy who is working on the Orchestra Hall project was talking about it to a friend of mine. This friend told him that I do that kind of thing. One of the dads relatives tried to log on to post the invite in MNSCUBA, but they had some sort of trouble so I told the guy I would post it for him. He said the dad would pay for air and some gas money, but on this kind of deal it would be just to help a guy out more or less. I would guess with the lake turning over, the viz would be 2' or so, and of course the weeds wouldn't make it easy. On the flip side it could be an opportunity to find ... whatever. I don't think this lake has a ton of diving pressure so who knows what else a person could find in the process.
11-09-2012, 06:51 AM,
gas moneys would be niceSmile
2ft vis for this type of lake seems amazing. should be enough to see something.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
11-09-2012, 06:44 PM,
John, Send me the contact info. I'm not going tomorrow but if I have a position (gps would be ideal) to search. I'll make some time and help the man. If I recover anything I'll see that he gets it and I'll do it for nothing.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
11-09-2012, 11:22 PM,
Hi Steve, I sent you the phone number. Sorry I didn't send it earlier but time got away from me tonight. I CC'd the number to Trinity, Hydro and Popolarbear as well so that if you guys get to dive it later some time, you would be able to get more details from him. I like your stance on doing it for nothing. There is a time to make money and a time for charity. I think the guy just offered up the gas/air money out of desperation knowing the lake will freeze over soon.
11-10-2012, 07:18 PM,
there was 5 or6 divers from fantas scuba there this afternoon, when I stopped by to chech. They found his fishing Rod and reel.
His dad was there and reconized it. I  dont think that they had real good marking.
11-12-2012, 06:02 AM,
Thanks for the report Grumpie. Good intel is hard to come by, and the point last seen is not always as it seems.