Remember me
Lost Password Register

TRINITY'S 3rd annual 2012/2013 icing challenge
02-07-2013, 09:53 AM,
Re: TRINITY'S 3rd annual 2012/2013 icing challenge
I know I talk a lot of smack on your thread. It is all in good fun. I am glad you guys are so active, Ice dive so much,and have a great time doing so. 8)I thoroughly enjoyed competing in the first challenge. I think it is great that we can share our experiences, and learn from them.

Which brings me to the experience I had, when John and I dove last Saturday. When we cut our hole, it was relatively close to the pressure ridge. It was not good clear ice. As you know, we routinely remove the ice from the hole. With the bad ice, and the close proximity to the open crack, we ended up pushing the ice under. it was not an issue until John was on his second dive, while I was tending. Towards the end of his dive, I was not feeling any movement on the line. I went to give him an okay signal, and the line went tight. It was snagged somewhere and I could feel nothing on the end of the line. I gave it probably about 1 min., which seemed more like 5 min., and was getting ready to go in after him. We had relaxed our protocol on this particular dive. Since my dry suit had leaked I had taken it off. The initial plan was he was just going to shoot some footage close to the hole. So I was freaking out pretty good for that 1 min. knowing it was going to take me close to 5 min. to go in after him. Then some bubbles started coming up on of the dive hole and the line became untangled. What a relief. one of the blocks we had pushed under had refrozen to the surface ice and our line became wedged under it.

Lesson learned. We have safety protocols for a reason. I will remain suited up and ready to be the safety diver if I have a diver in the water, even if I am wet and cold. Be safe and have fun!

Messages In This Thread
Re: TRINITY'S 3rd annual 2012/2013 icing challenge - by Shooter - 02-07-2013, 09:53 AM