01-17-2013, 06:06 PM,
Re: Wrecks in White Bear Lake
Thanks Jason.  I was just about to post the link to this article.  ;D
01-18-2013, 05:51 PM,
8) Nice article and history.  8)
01-18-2013, 11:05 PM,
I got a kick out of reading the article also. I especially liked the part where they were talking about the '55 Merc:

"It's got some zebra mussels on it so it's getting deteriorated by that," Merriman said. "But it's still got glass in the back window, headlamps, a steering wheel, and a lot of local divers have been diving on it."

Anfinson said that anything abandoned at the bottom of lakes legally belongs to the state Department of Natural Resources. Objects known to have sunk more than 50 years ago are overseen by his archaeology office, and are sometimes designated officially as nautical archaeology sites.

Divers are welcome to explore these sites and in some cases have been doing so for years, Anfinson said, but no one is allowed to disturb, damage or take property that does not belong to them.

Until I read the article, I did not know zebra mussels would deteriorate a car  :o. With "a lot of local divers that have been diving on it" I am surprised  that it still has glass in the back window, headlamps, and a steering wheel  ;D.

They better put a number on this hysterically significant find soon before those local divers loot that steering wheel... not that they would, especially after reading the reminder that "anything abandoned at the bottom of lakes legally belongs to the state Department of Natural Resources"  :-\

If anyone wants to read the full report from the two lakes here are links to those...
Lake Waconia:
White Bear Lake:
They are both pretty impressive reports for $6952  Wink I just hope they get another couple grants so they can afford to dive some of these.