Remember me
Lost Password Register

Bahamas outter islands or turks & Caicos?????
01-22-2013, 10:06 AM,
Bahamas outter islands or turks & Caicos?????
We are looking to do a trip to either the Bahamas or Turks & Caicos, we are looking for input. 

We are not really fans of over development ie Nassau so we started looking at green turtle cay (abacos) We dont know if there is a better option in the bahamas for getting the relaxing island feel while getting in GOOD diving, from what we have seen this might be a little vanilla diving which then opened the door for Turks and Caicos.

Im sure some of you have been to either or... or both any suggestings would be great!
01-22-2013, 10:35 AM,
Re: Bahamas outter islands or turks & Caicos?????
Check out Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros Island in the Bahamas.

01-22-2013, 10:40 AM,
                  Hey Lowvis,
                                   I've dove both, the Bahamas aboard the Cat Palau, (an excellent time) sailing down thru the Exhumas, she sailed out of Nassau just across the bridge from Paradise Is. Nassau itself is just a chithole, only hotel I've ever stayed in (1st and last night) surrounded by 12' of razorwire, anywhere you could get to the water is strewn with floating debris. The Bahamas diving tends to be shallow, least the jumps we did from the Cat (other then the Blue Hole) but real nice diving, good vis, lots to see, some current but nothing to brutal, and healthy reefs. Can be wavey on a liveaboard in the winter, without much protection, I remember that at night.
                                   I've also spent a week on Provo in T and C, land based, (so right there cancels any real comparison  :-\) vis was better, dives a little deeper, reefs at least as healthy. Decent variety of places to eat on shore.
                                   In looking back, I think you'll enjoy both, but to go back, gotta give the overall nod to T and C, least for GOOD diving, either one beats MN right now!
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
01-22-2013, 10:55 AM,
Thanks!
01-22-2013, 08:14 PM,
Have never been there but was considering going this week or next.. I was looking at the Abacos because that's where we can get a boat.  Marsh Harbour is the Moorings base.  The islands and snorkeling look like they could be a dream in that area.. But, we decided against it mainly because a cold front could drop the temps into the 60's this time of year and just not what I was looking for.  That would have been fine on the boat i guess, but with the super cold temps up here I figured the chances might be good for cold temps down there.
Cold and dark down there huh?