Remember me
Lost Password Register

Hawaiian Sling, anyone seen one at a dive shop?
01-25-2013, 03:11 PM,
Hawaiian Sling, anyone seen one at a dive shop?
I'm coming to the cities this weekend and would like to purchase a Hawaiian sling.. I checked with two shops, one in Maple Grove, one near Lake Harriett on Penn... No luck.

Anyone seen one available?
Cold and dark down there huh?
01-26-2013, 06:48 AM,
Re: Hawaiian Sling, anyone seen one at a dive shop?
st croix scuba is only shop i know of that has a nice assortment of spearfishing gear.why do you want that? your standard stuff is beter, ...i would think. ??? ???
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
01-26-2013, 01:10 PM,
I'm going to Belize and only allowed a sling and free diving. They have one for me where I'm going but hate to get there and find out I could have had better for less. I've seen the takedown ones and almost bought one before.  Should have.
02-14-2013, 09:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-14-2013, 09:42 AM by Shooter.)

I've had the best accuracy with the pistol grip style, I had to order it online. The pistol grip is removable. For bigger gamefish I use a 5/16 shaft, 1/4 on lobster and smaller fish.

Take down one, you must mean a polespear. I use a ray oder one and have had excellent results. 

Attached Files
.jpg   Hawaiin Sling.jpg (Size: 356.31 KB / Downloads: 42)
.jpg   Hawaiin Sling.jpg (Size: 356.31 KB / Downloads: 42)
02-14-2013, 10:14 AM,
I have a new one here if you want it. You can order a new one and have it shipped here as a replacement if you don't have enough time to get one.  8)
02-15-2013, 05:54 PM,
Thanks guys, I went with a pole spear instead of a sling. The dive shop here thought it might be easier to master and less chance on losing it to a fish.  I'd say it was pretty easy.  Haven't missed much, but I have a lot of patience.
Didn't want to kill all the hogs, just that one and a few others. 

Around here they are starting to cut down on the spearing. More and more marine reserves, although fish for sustenance isn't too frowned upon, apparently even taking much more than a meal or two won't go over well with the rangers. crazy, but you can still fish in the reserves, but standard line fishing other than by locals is to be catch and release in a lot of areas.  Dragging a line behind a boat is apparently OK. All underwater fishing is freediving only. Big bad fine if caught while scuba.

Although everything and everyone said no spearguns allowed they sell them in the shops and I saw several locals walking down the street with spearguns. And like almost everywhere, kill the lionfish.
02-28-2013, 11:30 AM,

The sling is very hard to get used to. I have always switched back to the pole spear. I guess I just need more practice......I am always amazed when diving with the locals at how much power and accuracy they display with the sling  8)