Remember me
Lost Password Register

Kuennen's Quarry
04-14-2003, 08:53 PM,
Kuennen's Quarry
Yesterday (Sunday, April 13) I had the opportunity to dive Kuennen's Quarry with Tbrown. This pit is located in Northern Iowa few miles south of the Minnesota boderline. I do not associate the state of Iowa with decent quarry diving, but Kuennen's can be considered an exception. Even though Kuennen's Quarry cannot be compared with Ore be Gone nor Crosby, I discovered yesterday that is a nice place for tune-up dives or Spring season (beginners) dives.

The quarry has several nice rock walls that are about 22 feet deep. The deepest part of the pit is about 30 feet deep. Nothing impressive, but not bad for a relaxed - easy dive. The visibility was very good. There are several cars and heavy quarry equipment in an area that is about 25 feet deep. Fish life is not impressive, but still you can see nice examples of the typical aquatic life of southern MN.

The pit is located in a county park, and access is easy and free. I think the place can be very nice for a picnic-diving event. Water temperature was 40 degrees. My only concern about the place was the underwater junk in the northeastern section of the lake. I believe divers should stay distant from the cars (one car is in vertical position) and old rusty heavy equipment to avoid any potential injuries or accidents.

If you want to learn more about this pit, here is a link that I found:

Again, the place is not impressive, but visibility, access, and rock walls are very good!

cheers,

Jose

p.s

by the way let me know when you want to dive Fish Lake or Okoboji!

04-14-2003, 09:28 PM,
Re:Kuennen's Quarry
Jose:
Glad to see you got a dive in this weekend!!!! YAY!!!
You had the same water temps we did this weekend I see.
Sounds like you had a good time at this place. Thanks , as always , for the report.

Take care and see you soon!!!!
Jean

How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH