Remember me
Lost Password Register

good lakes to shore dive
05-07-2013, 09:38 AM,
good lakes to shore dive
Thought it'd be a good idea to make a list of lakes for people without access to a Boat.
Feel free to add any good lakes with shore access (not in boat launch or traffic). If its a big lake add specific locations (like tonka)

Square lake (had to list)
Lake Calhoun (Park anywhere around the lake)
Lake Harriet (park anywhere around the lake)
Mines in Crosby (mostly shore access from)

Ok add some!
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
05-07-2013, 06:27 PM,
Re: good lakes to shore dive
im surprised you didnt add Elmo.
from tonka I would add
wayzatta beach access, sunsets bar parking lot is a tough carry over, but is deep against shore.
carsons bay has two public beaches, but limited parking.
robinsons bay has public beach access but no parking at all.
Excelsior bay from parks farthest point has coin operated parking or free if you park a few blocks in.
grays bay/101 causeway.use a dolly and follow paved path under bridge to "oposite side of bridge as launch. start dive just by bridge and head out along drop off towards wayzatta. (stay close to weed edge and you will be out of boat traffic).

down steam of grays bay dam(not above), when curent starts to drop down early summer. one tiny depresion not deep holds fish of all kinds. sometimes thick with them.

&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
05-07-2013, 06:29 PM,
how about all the shore spots along north shore?
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
05-07-2013, 08:37 PM,
Narrows Bridge in Tonka isn't deep, but easy entry and holds some loot sometimes. Any bridge for that matter is a good time in my opinion. On the North shore I would say Gooseberry Falls, Hesper and Madiera are a given, but some of the lesser known spots are fun too. Along the south side of Brighton Bay a is a good shore dive. The mouth of the Baptism River is good too. Ilgen near Tettagouche has a nice cave that you can swim through about 60' - 80' long but only about 8 feet of depth below the water line. Above the waterline inside the cave is about 25' high to the ceiling. There is a nice log dock crib there left over from Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing. I really liked the shore dive I did in Bayfield Wisconsin by the fish market. I haven't dove it yet but I want to dive Lake O' the Dalles In the St Croix State Park even though its only 12' deep. I always have a fun time burning partial tanks under floating docks at county parks with the metal detector looking for trinkets. The Rum River and even the Mississippi are fun if you get in the right spots.
05-08-2013, 07:46 AM,

i would like more info on how to find this cave at Ilgen. sounds very interesting.

Agreed. Rum/Sippi are great. i remember losing Wife and Archpenter in too high current on the river. had to pick them up down stream.need to do that in lower currents.
05-08-2013, 07:48 AM,
how about  Caribou lake(itasca). clearest inland lake in the state. mostly just logs to look at, but still cool dive.
05-08-2013, 07:56 AM,
ohh , and since im on clear water. the clearest dives we had ice diving with
vis aproaching 50ft or so. we all on lakes with Musky..
all the fish were scared and buried into the weeds.

herriet,White bear, Waconia, Elmo. thru the ice(shore diving).
other lakes this winter that had musky didnt have such clear water.
05-08-2013, 02:11 PM,
Is it possible to shore dive from near the beach in  Deephaven in  St.Louis bay? I know there is some docks there and thought there was some stuff underwater there.
05-08-2013, 02:58 PM,

Idove it icing... its possible but depending on time and day there might be a lot of boat traffic there.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
05-08-2013, 07:08 PM,
right now its open parking. the "public parking" requires a city permit purchase but is only enforced/Required june(?) i think thru oct 1(?) so early or late. it is possible. either parking lot is fine. I thought it was cool. there is the boat that hydro found down there. last time i couldn't find it. but did see other stuff.