Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving San Diego / La Jolla area
05-08-2013, 09:57 PM,
Diving San Diego / La Jolla area
Anyone have any advice on where to go/avoid? Any locals shops good to dive with for shore dives or day trips?  Any help would be great,

Thanks All...
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
05-09-2013, 08:24 AM,
Re: Diving San Diego / La Jolla area
When I was there last year I used Waterhorse Charters (Humboldt dive boat).  Went down to the Coronado Islands, in Mexican waters, to see the sea lions.  Great dive op, was pleased with their service.  The sea lions were fun to dive with, but not much else down there.  The second dive was actually pretty poor - mostly just urchins.  Was worth it for the sea lion interactions, but probably wouldn't go back too often.

If you can swing it, I'd highly recommend you get out to Catalina or one of the other channel islands.  There's day boats that leave from closer to the LA area.  I think a couple actually leave from Dana Point, which is only an hour north of SD.  I've been out to Catalina a number of times and love it. 

Ive never done the La Jolla kelp beds, but that's on the list for the next time I get out there. 
05-09-2013, 04:54 PM,
Re: Diving San Diego / La Jolla area
Thanks jamesecg,

I am also hoping to see the Kelp Forest from down deep.

I see IBDiving and La Jolla Divers listed as the closest in the area, hard to go by the reviews posted as ALL of the reviews say only great things..lol

Anyone else dove there?
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)