Remember me
Lost Password Register

Chamber Tour
04-15-2003, 02:37 PM,
Chamber Tour
Smith Diving is hosting a tour of the HCMC chamber next Monday April 21. If you've ever wondered what the chamber looks like or how it works, join us for this great opportunity. The Chamber staff will breif us on operations, recent diver statistics and answer questions during the tour. The chamber tour is FREE and is open to anyone. We plan to meet at the dive shop about 6:15pm Monday, or you can meet us at the chamber at 7:00pm. If you are interested in attending please call us at Smith Diving, 763-574-1280 so we know how many people to expect.
04-15-2003, 04:08 PM,
Re:Chamber Tour
Lee,

I'm going to try to make it if it's OK with you guys. Do I need to sign up or just show up? Been diving lately? 30 ft vis at square on Sunday, but no fish.

Happy Diving,
Richard
Scuba Dive and Travel<br />4423 Nicollet Ave. So.<br />Minneapolis, MN 55419<br />612-823-7210<br />www.scubadiveandtravel.com<br />scubadivetravel@qwestoffice.net
04-15-2003, 04:59 PM,
Lee,

We would like to join you. Will get an exact count and call you. Is Dr. Adkinson or Jim Bell still involved there?
04-15-2003, 08:43 PM,
Do they take you down under pressure in the chamber?

They used to run chamber tours at Saint Luke's Hospital in Milwaukee back in the 80's. They would take us down to 165' let everybody get good and narked and then bring you back up. This went on for at least ten years and then someone got bent and they had to stop it. It was too bad because it was a blast. You can see all the condensation that would form as they bring you back up. It was like a fog in there. You could also try to whistle while at 165' and it felt like you had crackers in your mouth because the air was so dense. Someone would blow up a rubber glove at the bottom and you could watch how big it got as you came up. That was how a lady got bent. She was holding onto the glove so tight that she ended up getting hit in the elbow.
It was a really great tour. They had 4 chambers there. Two of them allowed for complete surgeries to take place inside of them. One was a single person 02 chamber and the last one was a small mobile one that could be put on a helicopter.

Jon
&quot;Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge.&quot; -Charles Darwin
04-15-2003, 08:51 PM,
Sounds really awesome, I just wish I didn't live so far away from everything now. (Just bought a house in Dodge Center) Anyway, I'll see if I can make it and call if I know I can.
04-15-2003, 10:45 PM,
Sorry I couldn't get back to you guys right away. I was at the pool with a class. To answer everyones questions, anyone is welcome (yes Richard that includes you too). We will either caravan down to the chamber from Smith Diving or you can meet us there. They are expecting us at 7:00pm. I got one message looking for directions - The chamber is located in a seperate building near HCMC in Mpls. The address is 619 S. 5th St. (Portland & 5th St. S.) Metered parking is available on Portland and other surrounding streets cost is 25 cents per :20 and is enforced 8am-10pm. The entrance to the chamber is on the 5th street side and there really isn't any signage to speak of. Dr. Adkinson and Jim Bell are both still with the chamber and Jim will likely be the one to give us the tour. The chamber staff would like a head count ahead of time so please call us if you plan on attending.
04-15-2003, 10:48 PM,
Sorry, Freedive I forgot. Unfortunately we are not able to "dive" the chamber here. I'm sure it's a liability thing.