Remember me
Lost Password Register

Re-hydro of steel Epoxi coated tank
05-31-2013, 06:58 AM,
Re-hydro of steel Epoxi coated tank
im curious if anyone has knowledge. is it possible to get an epoxi coated steel tank rehydro'd without removing epoxi liner. this tank i picked up has several rehydro's done all with out removing the liner.

tank is in very nice shape. was stored by original owner inside and not used for 10years+

if so who offers such a hydro.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
05-31-2013, 10:04 AM,
Re: Re-hydro of steel Epoxi coated tank
Popo, epoxy coated on the outside right? Club Scuba use to run steel 72 ft3 cylinders (as rentals) that were all epoxy coated on the outside, they hydro'd them themselves. The coating is pretty heavy duty, even had a full one come out of the back of a pickup truck on the way to Duluth, in front of us, other then getting a little beat up from road rash they kept using it. Call Nardini's, in Little Canada.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
05-31-2013, 11:53 PM,
inside coated liner.ive read up online seems to be very difficult to remove this liner if attempted.  ideal would be solvent based.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
06-01-2013, 09:29 AM,
I had two steel 72's that had the coating inside. I took the tanks in to the LDS and had no problems getting the hydro'd. Most of the time the problem is if you want to use them for doing PP fills. The coating inside can be defective without really being able to see it even during a visual. If it is cracked or somehow no long adhearing to the tank walls rust or corosion can be present and not be able to be seen. If useing the tanks for just air there isn't as much of an issue as long as it's not coming loose. I looked into removing the liner and from what I found it's next to impossible to get it all removed. The best bet is to use the tank for air if the liner is in good condition. If it isn't they make good wind chimes.
Seize the day!
06-06-2013, 11:49 AM,
I have about 10 of the old steel 72's  If it is a US Divers/Aqua-Lung with blue colored interior coating, it is not worth the effort to clean it out. The blue stuff is all but impossible to tumble out in my experience. I built my own tank tumbler.

If the coating is brown, white or gray in color, it tumbles off with a little effort and time.

Something else to consider is the exterior. The early US Divers yellow tanks were not galvanized. I personally don't care to bother with those. If the tank looks smooth on the bottom, is not blue inside and the tank is galvanized either bare or painted, I would certainly tumble, hydro and use.