Remember me
Lost Password Register

Deeper Lakes Extended Metro or close to cities
09-19-2013, 02:05 PM,
RE: Deeper Lakes Extended Metro or close to cities
St.James is in Aurora.
09-19-2013, 02:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-19-2013, 03:29 PM by eddy.)

Nice! Thanks...

Nice! Thanks...
09-22-2013, 09:34 AM,
BTW, are there any restrictions to access to that site? I'd hate to drive all the way up there and have them refuse to let me in...
09-22-2013, 11:49 AM,
I'm not aware of any current restrictions. I haven't been up there for 3 years though. The parking is a bit limited near the entry point. I've been up there with groups of 6-8 divers though with no problems. If you get up there this fall please give us a report!
--Jason
09-22-2013, 08:12 PM,
We dove St James about a month ago and there is a nice place to drop your gear right down by the water. Because there was no one around we parked down by the water. We stayed at the Aurora Pines Hotel and I would not recommend that place to anyone! Nice wall dive right off the boat landing. I think I counted about 20 Inukshuk's at about 15' where divers passed the time on their safety stops, and stacked rocks. If you drive that far North, I would recommend to also hit Lake Mine (also called the Embarrass Pit). I think the viz was better at Lake Mine than St James a month ago.
09-22-2013, 08:20 PM,
Thanks guys! I did Ore-Be-Gone in July and the viz was really bad...I was kinda thinking it's not worth the drive to the Range, but you guys have inspired me to give these two pits a try.
09-22-2013, 09:06 PM,
I heard a recent report within the past month that Ore-Be-Gone viz was really good. Hmmm.. Lake Mine and St. James typically have much better viz than Ore-Be-Gone. I definitely wouldn't look at Ore-Be-Gone as a benchmark. A couple years back St. James offered the best viz in MN other than Superior.
--Jason
09-23-2013, 04:09 PM,
I did a dive at St. James Pit yesterday afternoon. For such a beautiful Sunday afternoon, I was surprised I had the place to myself (not even anyone fishing or anything). The visibility was really good in the vast majority of the pit (30’ – 50’+), but was absolutely horrible in the corner of the pit opposite the boat landing. I think a beaver may have moved into that corner of the pit, and fouled the water over there. That said, unless you’re running a DPV, most divers would never get over there.