Remember me
Lost Password Register

Need fora Single Tank Adapter for BP
04-16-2003, 10:57 AM,
Need fora Single Tank Adapter for BP
Thought I would put this out and see what everyone's thoughts or experience are. I was looking on e-bay and noticed in the description of a back plate that was for sale that it had holes cut from the factory to allow straps for a single tank. This would eliminate the need for the single tank adapter....

Anyone have info on the drawbacks/benefits to this??? I think the manufactures site is .

Chris Bloss
04-16-2003, 11:12 AM,
Re:Need fora Single Tank Adapter for BP
I personally feel that the STA gives the most stable attachment method for singles. However, drawbacks are that the tank sits a bit higher on your back, thus heightening the center of gravity.
One other thing to check is what kinda bladder you use - although almost all wings currently available on the market have slots in them to accomodate the cambands, most of them will shift when UW. As far as I know, Halcyon's new single tank wings are the only ones specifically designed to be used without a STA, but I can't comment on how stable the tank sits.
I have numerous dives on my BP with STA, and never had any complaints.

Hope this helps...
04-16-2003, 11:20 AM,
I have a single 13 cu. ft. tank and went with a Tiger Mount that allows me to place the tank anywhere I want on my scuba tank it has a quick disconnect which makes it easy to remove.
04-16-2003, 11:24 AM,
I have a Halcyon Pioneer 36# wing with a STA. My wing does have the built in delrin rods for use without the STA like DRE mentioned but I prefer to use a separate STA as it seems to hold the tank a little more stable and it's an extra 2 or 3 pounds I don't have to carry on the belt. It seems most people I've talked to prefer to use a STA with their backplates. Like DRE said though, unless you have a Halcyon Pioneer Wing you'll most likely NEED an STA with your plate for stability.