Remember me
Lost Password Register

Apostle Island Shore Dives
08-12-2013, 07:30 AM,
Apostle Island Shore Dives
I'm looking at possibly going up to the Apostle Islands/Bayfield this weekend and doing some shore diving. Anyone know of any interesting shore diving sites and can pass along the logistics?
08-12-2013, 08:21 PM,
RE: Apostle Island Shore Dives

Right behind Bodin's Fish Market is a nice shore dive. I heard there was a Model T about 50' deep there but I didn't find it. I was dodging fishing boats coming into the harbor all afternoon. Right next to the fish market is a small public beach with a log crib wall supporting the wharf. At the bottom of this wall is about four semi loads of waterlogged slabwood with many misc wood ship timbers mixed in the middle. Here is a link to the video I took there:
08-12-2013, 09:59 PM,
Fin McCool - south end of Apostle islands yacht club harbor

fedora - bulk freight steamer
or
H.D. Coffinberry ?

something?

man i should go there, theres also a ton off the islands.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
08-13-2013, 06:09 PM,
Thanks Hydro, These first 2 look like the can be accessed from shore pretty easily.
08-13-2013, 09:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-13-2013, 09:53 PM by arcFlash.)
The car is over the wall about halfway to the end of the private marina on the sea side. The playground that looks like a ship. Go towards the water and walk out ,left, the shore till you see a few large slabs of concrete. There was a rope that followed the wall and T'ed to the rope going to the truck. I recall a large log just before it.

This link sticks to road so go to the sea side and get in. Find a line and follow it. Barring than it was 60 feet last I was there just past a huge log.

All the wood planks are the remains for the fishing boat piers before the big store storm of Nov 05.

You can see the Finn macool on Goole maps. Be mindful of the channel because the sailboats draft 6 feet or more and need all the water they have. No going around you.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
08-14-2013, 06:02 AM,
On this Image I outlined in red the area I dove when I was there. I also put ArcFlash's mark on the image... Is this where the car is Arcflash? I didn't get over that way because at the time I thought it was driven off the pier behind Bodin's Fish market. The area I swam has lots of boat traffic so stay low if you swim there.

.jpg   Bayfield.jpg (Size: 154.33 KB / Downloads: 26)
08-14-2013, 10:29 AM,
That's pretty close. I enter closer to the dock but the dock is new since I dove it. You can see the submerged sea wall using Bing maps in 'Birds eye'. Swim the base of the wall and look for a guideline going out or find where it levels out and swim it. It's close to shore so maybe 75 feet out and 60 down.
08-14-2013, 11:59 AM,
Awsome. I am really excited to do some diving now that i know exactly where this stuff is. Thanks guys!
08-14-2013, 02:31 PM,
Thats the best part of MNSCUBA, networking to save time looking for fun places to dive!
08-19-2013, 05:25 PM,
Did you dive and find the truck?